Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler and A/C changed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Muffler and A/C changed...

I just added Rinehart slipons and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 09' Road King. According to the dealership, no change in mapping is required unless there is excessive popping and or backfiring upon decel. If that does happen, they suggested a change to the Power Commander.

I spoke with another dealership regarding this set up and they told me that I would have to have my ECM remapped to the tune of $150.

I've read sooo many different responses to this question, which is the correct answer.

Do I or do I not need to do anything else at this time?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 06' FLHRCI upgraded to a Stage 2 right out of the crate (88 to 95) with V&H monster oval slip-ons and HD SE air cleaner and all I had was a shop remapping done and 31,000 miles later she starts every time and runs great. Some people feel like a Power Commander is necessary. I think the Power Commander is quite pricey...'course the Stealerships are pushing the PC.

Last edited by HarleypsychRN; 09-11-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

The dealership suggested a Power Commander? Figured any H-D dealer would be pushing the SEST. I think many feel the remap of the ECM is all that is needed. I decided to do the SEST and couldn't be happier (although poorer). I'm sure you'll hear lots of opinions.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know whose giving you info but I would say everyone here would agree that if you go beyond pipes (and even then if the pipes are too free flowing) to a free flowing aircleaner you need to richen that mixture up. First off to protect the engine from eating a valve, second to utilize to full potential of the upgrades.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will just about garantee you will have decel poping and backfiring unless you get the download, Power Commander, etc..

Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you need to understand that HD engines are air cooled and in order to get by epa regulations they have to run the engines lean.
When you add pipes you are leaning the engine slightly and when you add the high flow ac you really leaned the engine. I suggest doing something. You are wasting power and a correct running engine.
I am using the pcv with auto tune and have used the fuelpak. The fuelpak is a lower cost to the issue and will do a very good job as long as you stay within the limits it can do. No cam changes unless you do a Hd 103 kit or stay stock with the engine.
The pcv is able to take care of any changes you do.
I do suggest doing something.
Either the PC111, pcv or fuelpak is easily added.
It took me 45 min. to do the fuelpak and 30 min. to do the pcv

In God we Trust

dd

Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd keep a close eye on the plugs as it is especially changing the air box out. Keep a eye out for a used tuner like I did and your bike will run cooler and much better for it !

Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Map/Tune

Originally Posted by hogdad
I don't know whose giving you info but I would say everyone here would agree that if you go beyond pipes (and even then if the pipes are too free flowing) to a free flowing aircleaner you need to richen that mixture up. First off to protect the engine from eating a valve, second to utilize to full potential of the upgrades.
Even old school carburated to the new ECM Electonic Fuel Injection. You do both the mufflers and the AC you had better get a Map. I don't know why you would have to get a PC V except to fine tune.

I have heard of Mufflers only and getting by without rejetting or the Map but never Mufflers and a high volume AC!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the download or a new fuel management system of some sort. They are much too lean without it from what I've heard. PCV is the way I went and I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I was finally able to take my first ride today after doing the Big Sucker install. I had the pipes on for a few days before adding the new A/C and they sounded great and I didn't hear or feel any issues.

I added the Big Sucker but couldn't ride for a couple of days because of rain. I was able to get out and do about 170 miles today and had no issues whatsover, in fact, the bike ran awesome. I noticed an immediate change in response and a slight power gain. I have not yet added a fuel management system, but I also am not getting ANY backfiring or popping on decel, just a nice gurgle.

I have an email into Jaime at Fuel Moto asking several questions and will wait to hear from them before acting on a fuel management system, but until then, the bike seems to be riding great.

I also have a good friend who is a Harley mechanic and he stated that with the 02 sensors, the stock ECM should compensate to a certain degree for the new slipons and A/C. He did recommend adding some sort of system, but also stated that the bike, if running great and not popping or backfiring, may not need any help.

Just sharing an update and looking for any comments or suggestions.

Quick Reply: Muffler and A/C changed...