Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too short for seat??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Scottys RoadGilde
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too short for seat??

I have an 06 RoadGlide and love it. The only question I have is when I am out for a long ride I start to get an ache in my back. Not down low but about right between my shoulder blades. It doesn't help to put my feet on the highway pegs (it might be a bit worse) but I notice if I put my feet on the passenger boards (thus pushing my shoulders closer to the bars) it helps a lot. I am 5'9 with a 32" inseam and have no problem reaching the ground so I don't need a narrower seat. I think I need a seat that puts me closer to the bars. Anyone with any thoughts??

Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 PM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Too short for seat??

Or keep the seat if you like it and get bars with more pullback?

Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Road Glide, I did all the states east of the Mississippi on a RG, great bike. You need a seat that has a strong step at the base of the seat, I used a Mustang which did the trick to make me sit up more straight (give support at the bottom of your back). You can keep your stock seat and put the HD removable rider backrest on and this is also very comfortable and cheaper than the after market seat idea. Come right off without tools when you want the cleaner no backrest look. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Secret for comfort.......BACKREST!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How does that backrest actually install? I would like to get one but not sure how it would work with my sundowner seat? Do you have a part number and a website that expalins how it works?

ORIGINAL: 1goindiesel

Hey Road Glide, I did all the states east of the Mississippi on a RG, great bike. You need a seat that has a strong step at the base of the seat, I used a Mustang which did the trick to make me sit up more straight (give support at the bottom of your back). You can keep your stock seat and put the HD removable rider backrest on and this is also very comfortable and cheaper than the after market seat idea. Come right off without tools when you want the cleaner no backrest look. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:11 PM
92XLH
Advanced

I am shorter than you but I had a similar problem with the Sportster I owned. I added risers that put the bars up 2 1/2 inches and back 2 1/2 inches. It helped me a lot and got rid of the tightness between the shoulders. The risers cost less than $50 at the dealer and took about a half hour to change. I did not have to change cables or electrical wiring. Of course, your bike will be different.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Bigfoot
Tourer

I agree about the bars. Give them a try - also I have heard many say a back rest is awesome.

Hang in there, it takes a little patience to get it just right. It will be worth it in the end!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:51 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SOme really good responses already posted here...

I have a Mustang seat any WideGlide handle bars on mine. What a DIFFERENCE!!!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I too changed the bars to the chrome wideglide, but kept the stock seat and added the backrest. Racked up 20K miles on this combo.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:00 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same problem with my Fat Boy. I felt I was leaning too far forward and my upper back would cramp up after about an hour or so. Put on 4" pull back risers and it made a world of difference. Definately less stress on my back.

Quick Reply: Too short for seat??