Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Street Glide or Road Glide

OK, I've got the fever. I am going to buy an 2009 or newer Street Glide or Road Glide. I like the overall looks of the Street Glide but like the dash on a Road Glide.

I know the RG has a frame mounted fairing and the SG has a fork mounted fairing. So what is the difference as far as handling goes at high speed or slow? I live in Kansas and there is a lot of breeze here.

I appreciate any pics you might have too.

Thanks,
Danny D

Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was faced with the very same dilemma - like both the SG & RG. I'm tall (6'6") and felt that faring on the SG was TOO close for comfort and with little room for adjustment. The RG faring gave me MUCH MORE space in front of me, so I got the RG. It's also GREAT at highway speeds, as the fixed faring stabilizes the bike as it plows thru the wind, and there's no added push on the handlebars that you have to fight either. I was reluctant about the RG at first, but I'm a believer now and have no regrets.

...besides, I landed-up getting my wife (5"6") a SG and now I've got both bikes in my garage.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking the weight off of the forks and put it on the frame make the stearing alot easier espesially in high winds. Mine rides like a dream,plus I can always spot my bike in a sea of Batwings.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I loved the look of the Street Glide, but after taking both for a ride the Road Glide was the way to go. The Road Glide was more comfortable, and the front end handles so well at high speed. The air gives you great downforce on the front end without any buffeting in your arms on the handlebars like the batwing fairings do. The lowered suspension of the SG takes away from the comfort in my opinion as well. Low speed turns with the Road Glide are real easy as well.

The only negative I can come up with for the Road Glide is when cornering in sharp turns in the dark the headlights don't make the turn with your eyes.

My vote would be Road Glide, but you really should rent or borrow one of each. What fits and feels good to me might not to you.

Last edited by hullhorr; 11-02-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
nocages4me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road Glide with out a doubt. It rides so much better than the batwing fairing. I can ride all day long in high winds and be fine. No so easy on a batwing.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

Road them both. I decided on the RG.

Cruzing - both can be customized to look good. Depends on how you want to go.

Either this or that (cruzing or touring) - if this is what you want, and you are keeping it stock, then I would go with the SG.

Touring - RG all the way, for the reasons posted above. If touring and mid o long distance riding is your objective, then consider installing Hoggchopps lower front fairings on your new RG. They keep the wind from being pulled up from below the front fairing.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be the first to say Street Glide. I just can't get used to the Road Glide fairing. I do know that ALOT of people say the Road Glide handles better.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Default A choice

I've ridden them both in alot of wind and if there was a difference I didn't notice it. For me they both came down equal in everything but one item. I like the looks of the street glide better.
Test ride them both and see what you think. If you can't decide based on the ride, go with the one that calls to you.....mine called to me like a siren when I saw her sitting on the showroom floor.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer

I'm on the side of the Street Glide; I just don't like the shark nose fairing.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
SouthernAlberta
Intermediate

no comparison in handling. road glide all the way but you will need to change the windshield.

best bike harley makes

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Road Glide