Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey cfr owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Hey cfr owners!

I have a question for you guys.
How is the chrome on the inside of your exhaust tips? Mine is far from being flawless, especially on one of the 2 slip-ons. It developed a brownish shade is some areas, like the coat of chrome didn't entirely cover the copper underneath and there are some tiny whitish specks looking like the chrome is pitted but it's not. My finger doesn't feel any irregularity.
I called Cary Faas and he thinks the chrome on the tip might have been damaged by water (???), but he's sending me a new one at no cost and I'll send him mine for review after I put the new one on.
I'm curious to know if I'm the only one in this case.

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's from the condensation. Same thing when you see dripping from the exhaust on vehicles. Mine has it, but I don't worry about it. Nothing that I know of you can do about it anyway.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
It's from the condensation. Same thing when you see dripping from the exhaust on vehicles. Mine has it, but I don't worry about it. Nothing that I know of you can do about it anyway.
I would think that condensation would apply to both tips, no? The problem is only on one. I still think the problem is in the chrome. I've seen chrome tips on lots of pipes and the inside remains bright and shiny, not brownish in some places like mine.

Oh and there are several solutions to the problem, starting with good chrome. Another one is to have the tips powdercoated. It's cheaper than chrome and more durable.

Do you have CFR slip-ons on your bike?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:58 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I would think that condensation would apply to both tips, no? The problem is only on one. I still think the problem is in the chrome. I've seen chrome tips on lots of pipes and the inside remains bright and shiny, not brownish in some places like mine.

Oh and there are several solutions to the problem, starting with good chrome. Another one is to have the tips powdercoated. It's cheaper than chrome and more durable.

Do you have CFR slip-ons on your bike?
No, I have Hard Krome pipes. My pipes aren't experiencing what yours are, but seen enough to know that it's fairly common. You are probably right though, in that it's the quality of the chrome. I do have condensation from my pipes every now and then, and it only seems to come from the right side (or front) pipe. Powder coating would be a good cost effective option.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which pipe has the discoloration.Are you running with stock headers.If your running stock headers the inside of right pipe is going to have discoloration.Just realized you have an 09 so it may not apply to you.Now i did have something on one of my tips but on the outside which was like the size of a nail head.I ended up just ceramic coating the tips.I'm also assuming you know these tips are rivetted on.

Last edited by rick; 09-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rick
Which pipe has the discoloration.Are you running with stock headers.If your running stock headers the inside of right pipe is going to have discoloration.Just realized you have an 09 so it may not apply to you.Now i did have something on one of my tips but on the outside which was like the size of a nail head.I ended up just ceramic coating the tips.I'm also assuming you know these tips are rivetted on.
Rick,

Yeah, I'm running stock headers on my 2009 Ultra. The discoloration is more pronounced on the right tip but there's also some on the left tip, but it's hardly noticeable there. The outside of the 2 tips is perfect, it's the inside which has the problem.
Yeah I know the tips are riveted on, I discovered it when wanted to take them off. Cary Faas is shipping a new tip with 2 rivets. I have a rivet gun so no problem putting it on. I'll go really easy when I drill the existing rivet not to damage the muffler and baffle.
Tell me more about ceramic coating. Is it like powder coating? I might have to do something similar. I think powder coating would work also because the tips don't get too hot. Powdercoating can go up to 800F so it should work. What color are they coated and how much did this cost you? I'd love to see pictures of the result. frenchbiker@gmail.com

Old 09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ceramic because of the heat and it was recommended.dont remember the cost sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Hey cfr owners!-010-1.jpg   Hey cfr owners!-006-1.jpg   Hey cfr owners!-011-1.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the pics. Wow, they look pretty good with the black tips. I had Rineharts with black tips before the CFrs so I'm used to the looks. I'm going to install the new tip Cary Faas shipped yesterday. If it stays shiny, fine, if not, I'll talk to a local metal refinishing shop here.
They do chroming, anodizing and powdercoating so they'll have a solution to the problem.