Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I was getting a Road KIng...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thought I was getting a Road KIng...

...then I made the mistake of sitting on an '09 Street Glide! As some may remember I was looking to trade the Street Bob in for either a Heritage or a RK, never really considered the Street Glide as an option until I sat on one today. Wow! The bike really felt like it was made for me. My hands were in a perfect position and I felt more in the bike as opposed to on the bike like I did with the RK.
All that being said, I still like the looks of the RK better (never been a big fan of a fairing on any bike),but the SG has been growing on me alot lately so I can be swayed toward one if my test ride goes well this weekend. My wife is convinced that the longer this decision takes to make, the bigger and more expensive the bike I end up with will be!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
bigtim1985
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never liked the fairing on the street glide either, but after i rode one i had to buy one. needless to go for it!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

It seems as though Road Kings are getting less popular and being unseated by the full dressers.

To me the Road King is still the King of the Road. So easy to put things on and take things off

If you got to have a radio .... well?

Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the SG fairing for a long time, then I grew up..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I did just the opposite.

I was convinced I was going to get a Street Glide. I had rented one a few times and really liked it (still do). But, everybody that I told that too kept saying "nah, can't picture you behind a fairing, get a Road King and take the windshield off"

Every mile I put on the Road King I love it more. Maybe next round will be a Street Glide, who knows?

Enjoy your new ride. Life is good when your two choices are a King and a Street Glide.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

I did the exact same thing. Rode a 09 RK last fall. Went in this spring snoopin'. Saw a 08 RK I liked alot. The sales manager gave me more than I thought for a trade on my Street Bob, and there is where it went down hill. The 08 RK turned into a black denim EG standard, then they told me they had a black pearl SG in a box out back and the rest is history. Everytime I see a RK with apes and the windshield off I second guess my choice.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I am trading my 08 RK Classic on a SG. I love the look of the SG. Want the fairing for protection. If you have a radio you can turn it off. Always thought I would remove the windshield on the road king, have never done that. Love the look of the leather saddle bags, but rain, gettting into them with the backrest on is not easy.

The tourpack provides extra room, so I am getting the 4 point docking system, in case I decide to add the tourpack. I am leaning towards the kury touring bag.

I don't ride 2 up. Most of my rides are solo.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The only problem with a SG is you can't take the fairing off and leave it at home when you don't want to look through it or over it.
I really like the feel of the wind hitting me up to about 55-60 and above that you need a fairing, the RK windshield is a piece of crap and it's easier to ride without it up to 55-60 than with it, unless you live in bug country.
This is just my opinion. I have had 3 differant windshields and my second new fairing is suppose to be here Monday and I just know it's going to be the right one for me, it's a WOODY's.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM
knepp1bj
Road Captain

I went to dealer to buy a fat boy and saw my street glide and came home with it. I love my bike! But if i could have 2 i would also have a rkc!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Fairings are good, and good for ya too!

Quick Reply: Thought I was getting a Road KIng...