Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I was getting a Road KIng...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My story very similar to yours. I wanted to trade my Heritage for a Touring bike and thought I was gonna get a Road King since it had the removable windshield. I started going on demo rides and wasn't really swayed by the RK. I always liked the looks of a SG but I didn't think I'd want a fairing. Boy on that first ride I knew right away that bike was for me. The fairing doesn't bother me at all like I thought it might. I just leave the stock 4" windshield on and look over it. My SG is a great ride!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TI06
My story very similar to yours. I wanted to trade my Heritage for a Touring bike and thought I was gonna get a Road King since it had the removable windshield. I started going on demo rides and wasn't really swayed by the RK. I always liked the looks of a SG but I didn't think I'd want a fairing. Boy on that first ride I knew right away that bike was for me. The fairing doesn't bother me at all like I thought it might. I just leave the stock 4" windshield on and look over it. My SG is a great ride!

I ordered and have a 8" clearview sitting in the box yet! But have not talked myself into swapping the stock ! The stock just looks so dang good on there!!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
The only problem with a SG is you can't take the fairing off and leave it at home when you don't want to look through it or over it.
I really like the feel of the wind hitting me up to about 55-60 and above that you need a fairing, the RK windshield is a piece of crap and it's easier to ride without it up to 55-60 than with it, unless you live in bug country.
This is just my opinion. I have had 3 differant windshields and my second new fairing is suppose to be here Monday and I just know it's going to be the right one for me, it's a WOODY's.
I thought exactly the same way until I got my batwing, now I just love to ride and listen to the tunes.
By the way you are going to love your Woody's fairing, I love mine!!
Terry

Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
PEZ8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from sportbikes and right to a SG, I'm in heaven and loving it more and more. In fact, I can't believe how much I like it. It's so comfortable, I have a nice amount of storage, tunes, cruise control, abs, nice gauges, etc. I love it! It's so much different then what I'm used to. I can actually ride this bike somewhere, instead of just looking to race around on the crotch rocket. I'm still keeping the R1 for screwing around and track days, but the SG is definitely gonna see more miles than the Yamaha!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my 08' SG in for an '09 RKC. The SG rode nice and I thought I could get used to the fairing but it's just not for me.

I have a Dragonfly detachable fairing ordered as well as a tour pack for when I do extended trips.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted an SG since they came out in 06. Then everyone buying them. The RK won me over because of the classic look and something different than everyone else is buying. Dealers were not willing to bargain on the SGs. They know everyone wants them.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoy your new ride. Life is good when your two choices are a King and a Street Glide.
That's what I was thinking - life is good when you have that kind of choice.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for a the feedback guys. I'm supposed to test ride the SG this coming week. The dealer is going to take the RK and I'll take the SG for a 25 mile run on some highways and backroads, we'll swap about halfway. That should give me a pretty good feel for both bikes. I'll keep everyone posted...and you guys are right life is pretty good when these are the decisions we're faced with!!
BTW...I'm a little surprises the SG doesn't come stock with passenger floor boards.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will love riding the SG. I love the way my SG handles and feels when out on the road. As far as wanting the wind in your face...trust me at 50 mph and up you will still get wind in your face. The windshield on the SG doesn’t really do much above 50. But I really like the low profile look. I also like the look of the fairing

Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grizzwold
BTW...I'm a little surprises the SG doesn't come stock with passenger floor boards.

That is something that turned me away from the SG. There are other things like the junk seat that it has. the wife and I kind of like the RK factory seat. No protection for the luggage either (I just wanted the ones in front of the bags). So, there are 3 things that I would have had to buy right away. Don't forget the shorter shocks also on the SG also (I can't verify but some claim the ride is a tad bit more harsh). Sure it comes with a fairing and radio for 2 thousand more but it is missing alot also....Just my opinion..

Quick Reply: Thought I was getting a Road KIng...