Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary leak update.....talking REPURCHASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Primary leak update.....talking REPURCHASE!

Well, guys, I am thoroughly beat. I picked up my bike this afternoon, rode it home ( app. 40 miles ) and it still leaks. Not as bad, but still......leaks. The vibration I complained about is getting worse. I called the service manager this evening and we aggreed that a repurchase was not at all out of the question. To his surprise...I told him that if Harley did buy back my bike, I want a vivid black road glide to take it's place. He was amazed that I did not even want to change colors. ALL I WANT IS MY BIKE FIXED! In his own words...."We have no idea what to do to fix your leak, and no idea where to start on finding your vibration." It just makes me sick. Here it is, riding season, it has been almost 2 weeks without rain, and my bike is in the shop for most of that time. I just want to puke. The OL and I were planning on riding up to the Lynchburg Tennessee bike rally this weekend, and honestly, I dont mind so much risking my own safety, but I have no right risking hers. The vibration is so bad now, on the 40 mile ride home this evening, my feet would get numb if I left them on the floorboards for more than a few minutes. I apologize for the rant.....just needed to vent....wish me luck.....

nogood o~`o

Old 06-15-2006, 01:28 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Primary leak update.....talking REPURCHASE!

Holy Crap Man.... That just blows!

I am glad (read: surprised) to hear that they are willing to arrange a swap. That's awesome. Now, didn't you just put some cams in? Have all the old stuff to put back in it?

Feel free to vent.... If it helps a little, then by all means ~ GO FOR IT!

You've also got some chrome goodies on there. Have all the stock pieces?

At least it sounds like that wanna make it right. That make a huge difference in ones ability to accept the situation.

Good luck & keep us posted...

Old 06-15-2006, 09:59 AM
ratmotortom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how the MOCO works, but I would think if you got the right person involved, you'd be riding a new bike very soon. I've worked for a GM dealer for nearly 25 years and if this kind of problem that just could not be repaired, they would step in and replace the vehicle. You need to make sure the dealer is getting a rep from Harley involved. Harley will probably respond quicker to you than the dealer, so maybe the both of you can work on this together. Don't give up, you'll get your new bike.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Stay on 'em! Get everything in writing from that dealer. I wouldn't be opposed to wanting to discuss the situation with the area HD Representative.........maybe have a pow-wow with everyone involved present.
Thank heaven these issues are rare. Had a friend with a new FLHTCUI several years ago that had continual brake malfunctions. Dealer never could get the system fixed......and they replaced about every component possible. One of those Poltergeists. Anyway, the dealer was able to convince the MC that he should get a new bike.....and he did.

Maybe this little story will offer you some hope that things can and will be worked out.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 AM
mndemohead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in your shoes, The DEALER bought back my R.K. last summer and got me into a new one, I say the dealer bought it back because H.D. would not hear of it. I dont want to scare you are add salt to your wounds but When I was going through my headaches with my R.K. last year I went round and round with The Moco and I got the same answer over and over that they DO NOT buy bikes back, and if I wanted a new bike I would need to arrange that with my dealer. Thankfully my dealer was decent enough to do just that, They basically pulled a new R.K. out of a crate and switched all of my Chrome and ACC. over for me and they charged me for about 10 hours labor. I talked to the dealer a few weeks later and they still had my old bike in the shop, H.D. had some of thier techs look at it and were stumped but still they would not repay the dealer for my bike, my dealer was stuck with it and to this day im not sure what ever became of it. My dealer told me of a similar situation a few years prior in witch they bought a bike back from a customer and sat on his old one for over 4 years until they figured it out and still h.d. would accept no liability in it. So if your dealer is talking buy back I would get it in writing. Id be willing to bet that your dealer will be the one taking it in the shorts on the deal. Like I said before in my experience H.D. customer service is the worst in the business, It took me a month in prime riding season to get my dilema resolved, and if it was not for my good dealer I dont know if it would be resolved still to this day. They sell bikes and once they are sold, they are sold, they really dont seem to care if they have one or two unhappy customers. Also just to give you a heads up, there is no such thing as a lemon law on a motorcycle, at least not in Minnesota, I tried that route also and was told a Motorcycle is not considered a vehichle but instead a recreation vehichle for which the lemon law does not apply. Im not trying to scare you at all, I just want to give you a heads up since I was in your shoes a year ago. Stay persistant and im sure it will all work out.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
rollover
Road Captain

Hit them up for a loaner for that trip. Make them give you an Ultra.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Square Dude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had motor noise trouble with my 2001 RK. By the time it had 10k miles on it I considered it unbearable. It was the famous "Valve train noise issue" that so many here complain about but do nothing about except spend more money out of their own pockets to fix. Well, finally, a mechanic at the third H-D dealership recommended that I send in the Lemon Law paper work - which I did. In a week or so H-D factory was calling me arranging a meeting with a factory engine tech at the dealer. Up to that point all I heard from them was the three sentences in my signature below. Nice guy. He listened to my story and the engine noise. He agreed it was bad and offered to buy it back, try to fix it or replace the engine. I chose the new engine which was installed a couple weeks later.

UNFORTUNATELY, I didn't realize "See #2 below" and in a few k miles it was doing the same thing. I strongly believe their cams are junk. I believe their engine it junk! At least the entire timing chest area of it. They didn't work that out too well before dumping it on the market. (Shades of GM in the 70's and 80's.) I recommend breaking in on dino oil, switch to good synthetic soon (not H-D) and use an oil cooler to prevent the oil's additives from burning away prematurely.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Won't they just swap out the engine?
If it was me that's what I'd be trying to do. If they would be willing to trade out the Bike , I'd think that they would pull the engine and send it back to the factory, and find out what the hell is going on. I feel for you man, Good luck....

Old 06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

Man condolences on ther lynchburg ride
at work here in NW Al lot of guys going
Me I gotta work!
read the post on the MoCo hate to hear that
rant all you want there's more room out than in
every time my wife hears me say this or that about an issue with the UC she goes to panic mode.
They are manmade so there gonna give you trouble.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for the repurchase.................

they said themself, they can't find the problem.........

tell them to line up the new bike and you'll bring in your bike when it ready..........

Quick Reply: Primary leak update.....talking REPURCHASE!