Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with Stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
sritchey53
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with Stage 1 upgrade

I have done a stage 1 upgrade on my '09 Street Glide: Vance & Hines Oval slip-ons and a K&N filter. I took it to the dealer to get the EFI re-tuned, expecting just a new download, but the dealer says I need to add a SERT (Screaming Eagle Racing Tuner) @ $460!!!! Have any of you found this to be truly necessary? Is this a total dealer rip-off?

I'm not into racing....I just want good performance, good sound, and a comfortable ride! I'm worried that if I do nothing, it will run too lean and burn something up! After doing some research on the hdforums I decided I should just add the Vance & Hines Fuel Pack instead (~$250). Do you guys have any input on this plan??

I appreciate your experience.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think there is a need for the SERT. I just used the "download" for what I have and the bikes runs great. Sure....the fuel management from a PC-V would allow you some flexibility to cool the engine, future upgrades and fine tuning....... but I am not looking that far either.

Yes, I vote for "he is crazy".....but maybe he was trying to save you money by just using the SERT instead of the download. That would be cheaper than buying the SERT later because you decided to upgrade a cam or something.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
fladawg01
Tourer

My understanding is that the stage 1 upgrade has a download available thru HD dealers for adjusting the fuel/air mixtures to adjust for the more open air filter and less retricing pipes (which is stage 1). As a matter of fact mine had it done when it was purchased. I think the dealer is trying to sell you an upgrade you don't need.

Plus if you ever read the SERT package, there is a warning stating that it is "for Racing Only" and may void your HD warranty.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a similar set up and use the fuel pack and love it. You can install / program it yourself and save the extra $$$ the dealer was going to charge you. SERT is a big $$$ item for the dealers and then they charge you extra $$$ for the dyno runs. Personally I don't think so !!!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by fladawg01
Plus if you ever read the SERT package, there is a warning stating that it is "for Racing Only" and may void your HD warranty.

No kidding?.........now that makes this even more funny

Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it seems odd that nobody has mentioned that the stage one download not only fattens up the air/fuel mixture but also opens up the rev limiter to allow the motor to rev to 6200 rpm rather than the stock 5500, well maybe someone will bring it up. not me though, i'm done typing.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
porterjet
Tourer

The download is also EPA legal, just brings your new configuration closer to running right. Not a lot closer but better than nothing. I don't have anything else to mention either.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would get a hold of Fuel Moto and just order a PCV from them with their custom tune. I ordered a set of Monster Ovals, stage I air cleaner and the PCV from them a few weeks ago for my 09 Ultra. I couldn't be happier and it was a very easy install. Not to mention the price couldn't be beat.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Call Jamie at Fuel Moto and get yourself a pre-loaded PCV.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Pezz
Cruiser

The dealership I go to won't do the download unless you are using the stage 1 intake and SE slipon's, that is what the download was designed for. As a test we put the download on my bike with with a AN big sucker and rhinehart's. It ran extremly lean through a lot of throttle curve.... Not a good thing.

Quick Reply: I need help with Stage 1 upgrade