Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Plate behind Heavy Breather Fliter

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Plate behind Heavy Breather Fliter

Okay, so I am all set to get the SE Heavy Breather for my 08 RG and I'm seeing a lot of pictures on bikes and it looks like the tour bikes all have a black plate looking thing that is behind the breather. What's up with that? Is that something that just wasnt removed in the case people want to put the stock filter back on? I personally think it looks kind of odd and it's making me rethink this project. If it has to stay on there is there a chrome cover or something I can put on to cover that up? I know that black plate will drive me nuts!.

Thanks for an input you may have!

T

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
08HD
Road Captain

You only remove the backplate if installation recommends. I have Arlen Ness Big Sucker Breather and had to figure this one out. the banjo bolts will not set flush if I remove my backplate.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

The plate comes with the Heavy Breather. It is designed to cover up the induction module wiring. I personally bought the plate separately from the SE Heavy Breather kit and installed it on my regular SE breather kit.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
PWFD
Road Master

oh, it's strange that HD didn't make that plate chrome or polished metal. I do notice that the MOCO doesn't show too many pictures of a side profile shot of the HB it's usually an angled front shot so you dont really see that plate. I'm thinking for me it might be a deal breaker. I'm kinda of **** about the way my bike looks. To me, that looks like an after thought with the plate there.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to use the backplate if you do not want to.

The SE Heavy Breather comes with a choice of gaskets to use. Install the backplate, install the two thin gaskets...do not install the backplate, install the thick gasket. It is your choice.

The plate is there to cover the wiring to the TB...and it does look pretty funky. Wait a few months and we'll see a $39.99 SE chrome backplate option!

Ride safe...

Steve

Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by SCJE8
You don't have to use the backplate if you do not want to.

The SE Heavy Breather comes with a choice of gaskets to use. Install the backplate, install the two thin gaskets...do not install the backplate, install the thick gasket. It is your choice.

The plate is there to cover the wiring to the TB...and it does look pretty funky. Wait a few months and we'll see a $39.99 SE chrome backplate option!

Ride safe...

Steve
Yea, I would agree with you that maybe waiting a bit for a chrome plate would be a good choice. With as popular as the HB has become I would bet I'm not the only one that isn't a fan of that black plate.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

They come in wrinkle black or gloss black. As stated, you'll probably see chrome coming mid year at the winter dealer meeting.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the Heavy Breather on my Glide and I must confess, it drives me nuts! I ran into a guy at a dealership that said Kuryakyn may have a chrome piece to cover it, you may want to look at that option...

Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
KaponeWKYA
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I believe that may be it...

Quick Reply: Black Plate behind Heavy Breather Fliter