Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heal Shift Peg = Heal Rest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 AM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heal Shift Peg = Heal Rest?

I find that I rest my heal on the heal shift peg sometimes, mostly without even realizing Im doing it, when I do realize it I promply remove my heal from it. My question is, is there any mechanical danger in this? Could any damamge be caused by my heal's weight and pressure resting on the rear shift peg? Not to concernd about the peg or shift lever its self, Im thinking more along the lines of transmission etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 AM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You could remove the heal shifter if you don't use it. Then get some floorboard extensions to give your foot more room. I dont know if resting your foot on it would hurt anything, but I don't think I would want to do it.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I just moved my floorboards (out 1" and forward 3") that allowed me to adjust the heel shifter down to the level of the board.
A couple other options to get more room for your feet are:
1. An extended heel shifter
2. Folding shift peg.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Im one of those few who is actually ok with my floor boards being where they are. I only find myself looking for a mid control type position.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gibby122
My question is, is there any mechanical danger in this? Could any damage be caused by my heal's weight and pressure resting on the rear shift peg? Not to concerned about the peg or shift lever its self, I'm thinking more along the lines of transmission etc.
Yes, there is. If you're putting pressure on the shift lever, you'll also be putting pressure on the shift mechanisms inside the transmission, particularly the shift forks, and it will cause premature wear. Not a good thing.

I'd try to avoid the practice as much as possible. Since I don't use the heal shifter anyway, it was one of the first things I took off the bike.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Yes, there is. If you're putting pressure on the shift lever, you'll also be putting pressure on the shift mechanisms inside the transmission, particularly the shift forks, and it will cause premature wear. Not a good thing.

I'd try to avoid the practice as much as possible. Since I don't use the heal shifter anyway, it was one of the first things I took off the bike.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
Perfect, thats the type of info I needed to know. Thank you very much, now Ill just have to be mindfull of where my freak'n foot is at all times! LOL. Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that I rest my heal on the heal shift peg sometimes, mostly without even realizing Im doing it, when I do realize it I promply remove my heal from it. My question is, is there any mechanical danger in this? Could any damamge be caused by my heal's weight and pressure resting on the rear shift peg? Not to concernd about the peg or shift lever its self, Im thinking more along the lines of transmission etc.
Lot of answers, but not many to your question.

IMO, and assuming it's your heel you're referring to, yes, a constant pre-load on the shift linkage could very well lead to undesirable wear to the parts affected.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
+1

Don't let it become a habit. Also you can install extended levers that don't cost valuable ground clearance but allow you to use the entire floorboard for your feet while retaining the heel shifter.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Perfect, thats the type of info I needed to know. Thank you very much, now Ill just have to be mindfull of where my freak'n foot is at all times! LOL. Thanks again.
Your welcome!

Honda had problems with this way back when, when aftermarket companies started offering heal shifter "upgrades" for the GL1500's. The shift forks were good for about 20 to 25k miles of the riders keeping their foot on the mechanism. Once Honda figured out what was going on, they quit honoring tranny warranty claims on any bike that had the aftermarket heal shifter installed.

In Harley's case, the heal shifter is a factory item so that may not be the case but I certainly wouldn't want to find out!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Originally Posted by racklefratz
Lot of answers, but not many to your question.

IMO, and assuming it's your heel you're referring to, yes, a constant pre-load on the shift linkage could very well lead to undesirable wear to the parts affected.
LOL!!! Oh yeah.... heel..... LOL!!!!!

Quick Reply: Heal Shift Peg = Heal Rest?