Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated to windfall?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Frustrated to windfall?

Talked to the dealer yesterday about the Ultra Ltd. I had ordered and he informs me that the bike's been pushed back from October delivery to December.....some kinda problems at the factory and the custom color Merlot and Cherry Red had been pushed back to November.

Frustrated and gettin' the feeling smoke was bein' blown up my butt I called another dealer to confirm this, which he did. So while I had him on the phone I asked what he could sell me the same bike for and without hesitation he says $900 off sticker and no freight or set up fee's. That amounts to about an $1800 dollar savings over what the original dealer was gonna sell it to me for! Now because of the crazy tax laws in Indiana (I live in Kentucky) the difference in tax I have to pay is 1% more but it still comes out to a little better then a $1500 dollar savings.

Soooo if the original dealer can't match or at least come close, which I doubt, looks like I'll be buyin' my scoot a couple hundred miles away. I guess things do happen for a reason

Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 AM
troy.j
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And where will you take your new bike for service? Will the dealer you walked away from give you the best possible deal on parts? Will they go out of their way to give you the type of customer service you expect?

My advice is to work with local dealer and push for the better offer for as long as possible. If you don’t give them the chance to earn your business…

I am not a dealer, I am just saying I have seen people get screwed over by a dealer cause the customer went to a non local dealer.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Snowfly
Tourer

I thought you paid sales tax in the state you register it in

Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey, cant blame ya. A bucks a buck and in this case it's 1500 bucks!!! Do think though, if your local dealer would come within 500 bucks of the lower price, think I would go to the local guy. Never know when your looking for some fast service or something!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can request the taxes be paid in the state in which you live.
I get almost all my bikes in Chattanooga, Tennessee and pay my taxes in Alabama
I could be wrong in Indiana.

Harley dealers are not like Honda, Kawasaki, Victory etc about service. They are happy to take your money

In God we Trust

dd

Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that you should work with the local dealer to try and make a deal.
When I go to my dealer, as soon as they see my name in their system the parts guy usually says, "So you're one of our locals....I'll give you 15% off anything you buy today".

It adds up quick...........

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM
fatvette
Cruiser

He already gave his local dealer a chance and they reciprocated by charging $1500 more then they could have and still made a profit.

Oh, and remember you can get 20% off all parts and accessories any day and everyday at Chicago or Zanotti HD. They will even deliver it for you.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 AM
audettd
Tourer

I agree with Fatvette....He gave the local dealer a chance. There's 2 parts to every transaction...seller and purchaser...can't do one without the other. Point being is as the consumer its up to us to seek the best deal. I'm all for giving the home town guy the business(not literally)....but when does it end? I shopped around before buying my bike...my local dealer said to me "Even if you don't buy your bike here, we'd still like your business for maintenance and parts". I appreciated that. They eventually came down in price and beat the other dealers. Good luck KuhunaJim...find the right bike for the right price!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 AM
medic1555
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have to put down a deposit and sign a contract to order the first bike? If so, will you loose your deposit if you back out of the deal?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not the shop around kind of guy and when I mentioned to my local dealer (known for not going below msrp) to limit the service work on my '05 since I was trading it in they did back flips to keep my business. I appreciate anybody that will work with you and as others say, it's nice to have the local dealer for all your service work. I purchased locally and I have certainly gained in discounted parts and labor; warranty work and just plain old "improved rider upgrades" (whatever the term is for replacement items not qualified under "recall"). So, I'd give the local guy a chance to meet your best offer, just mho.

Quick Reply: Frustrated to windfall?