Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Mufflers vs. Screamin' Eagle Slipons

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dontdropit
I was running SE's on my other bike and was happy with them, they'll get a little deeper when they get burned in.
As do the stock cans.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM
RodFarmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smithr
I just purchased a 2010 Electra Glide Limited. When I checked them out at the dealer, the Screamin' Eagle mufflers a guy just put on his EG Limited didn't sound a whole lot louder than stock and did not have to do a download or change air filter assembly. Is this the best thing to do? After all, almost $400.00 bucks for a set of mufflers is steep if it doesn't do much. Anybody happy with those or is something else available for the '10 baggers? Thanks for your help. (Finally moved up to a Granny Glide). :-)
I just bought a 2010 Limited, my first Harley. I did a demo ride on an 09 Ultra that had SE's on it, and the sound was exactly what I wanted. They are not loud, but they make a little noise when you mash it. I did not want loud, loud gets old on 500 mile days, my bike is for long trips, but I wanted some sound. This bike is for trips, with my feet up and listening to the radio all day. I told the dealer to make my bike like the one I rode and he put on SE's, stage 1 air fliter and a flash. Can't tell you what a stock Limited sounds like as I never heard it, but I know what one sounds like with SE pipes. I have the stockers, I might put them on some day when I'm bored to see if I made a mistake putting on SE's. One thing I like about SE's is they have the EPA stamp, I should be able to ride this bike anywhere and not worry about tickets.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I (08 RG) am running SE touring slip-ons with rush TD header pipes and am very happy with the sound and performance. Nice deep throaty tone that is loud enough when I get on it but mellows out at constant speed, which is nice on the long hauls. The sound is what I was looking for on a touring bike.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:51 AM
Kenneth Wise
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought I would throw some of my old school advice into this topic. I have owned nothing but Evolution powered motorcycles over the years and recently had one of my engines upgraded to 4 - 5/8 stroke.

​​​​​​I thought for sure that it would benefit from having Screamin' Eagle slip-ons and played with jetting for roughly two weeks before I finally just gave up and threw in the towel.

I am totally convinced all they do is make noise. I have roughly 25 years of experience in dialing in a carburetor so it was no lack of experience on my behalf.

Since I am a machinist I custom-made a velocity stack which fits nicely on my stock air box. It also tucks nicely into a highly modified K&N filter.

I also drilled a lot of holes on my factory air box to permit more breathing. I am convinced this is a really good "incognito" stage one air box.

The bike just REFUSED to run with the Screamin' Eagle mufflers. I ended up putting on a set of stock mufflers and soon realized the importance of running nothing but stock mufflers.

The bike really runs strong with the stock mufflers, I'm going to guess roughly 80 horsepower & Matching torque to the back tire which is not bad considering it is 24 year old carbureted bike.

These bikes had a mere 50 horsepower from the factory so anything north of that is a plus in my book.

I know nothing about these newer bikes but it can hold its own against anything out there.

I have a YouTube channel of my 1998 Road Glides if you wanted to see them. One is a Willie G autographed 95th Anniversary bike and the other is just a Standard Road Glide also a 1998. (Red in color).

✌️
Kenny Wise

The following users liked this post:
Chad1200 (01-07-2022)