Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting SE Heavy Breather and Stage 1 Download Friday, anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting SE Heavy Breather and Stage 1 Download Friday, anything I should know?

Well, finally making the step to get the SE Heavy Breather installed on my 08 RG. I am currently running my "stock" RG with the SE Street Performance Slip-ons and am very happy with the sound, look and performance. I personally LOVE the look of the SE Heavy Breather so I am making the BIG step to get it installed. Sounds like the preferred method of the install of this setup is to do the three hour dyno with the HD Race Tuner. WAY out of my price league though. That's a $800 bill for all that. I talked to the MOCO today and they told me the Stage 1 Download to update the ECM is what I should do on a "stock" motorcycle with the two add ons of the SEHB and SE Slip-ons. If I had engine mods or planned too them the Racer Tuner would be the way to go with the Dyno time. For my set up though, ECM Download is the preferred method according to the MOCO.

Can any of you chime in on this set up if you have done this. Is this the right path to take or should I save my money and just leave my RG as is? I dont wont to change the way my bike runs in a negative way just to get the look of the SEHB on this bike. As I said earlier in the post I am very happy with how my bike is running now. To someone like me who just enjoys motorcycle but knows NOTHING about engines this seems like a BIG deal too me and I'm afraid I may be making a mistake. This is why I turn to all of you for help.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

T

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

I can't comment on the air filter but I have the stage-1 and the screaming eagle air filter with V&H Ovals on my 09 SG. I am happy with the setup for now. The bike runs stronger and cooler although I have no scientific data to back it up <grin>. No popping on deceleration but I did lose approx. 3-5 mpg.

I didn't go with the PC because I didn't want to add extra stuff into the mix. I had a PC before on my 05 and the connections were flaky. No extra hardware with the stage-1 download.

When I can afford cams and headwork I'll go with SEST and a dyno tune.

dave

Last edited by EastSideBikerTrash; 09-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
thumper05
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dont do it !!!!!
Call Jamie at fuel moto the sponser here and he can hook you up with what you need cheaper than the stealer .. and its simple to install

Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted 2 hours dyno time to build a custom map for my 124ci, using the canned S&S map as a baseline.. They said it might be 3 hours at a stretch.

I suspect you are being ripped off, the reality is there are thousands of 96s running that intake and exhaust combination, in all reality they will probably just upload an exisitng map and check it is fuelling right on the dyno and do a little fine tuning.

I wouldnt pay for more than an hour on the dyno if I was you.

The SERT is the best tuner IMHO, it can do anything you want ever, but it is a total rip off as all it does is allow a PC to talk to the EFI computer. Its basically a cable and a junction box. And it cost me $700 Aussie.

If you dont have any plans to do further mods on the bike then you dont need the sert and the download would be fine.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thumper05
Dont do it !!!!!
Call Jamie at fuel moto the sponser here and he can hook you up with what you need cheaper than the stealer .. and its simple to install
+1 call Fuel Moto... it actually looks like you are close enough to have him install. I am sure he can show you other bikes and what he can for for set ups...

I did what you are planning to do, 1 year later added the PCV. Pay the extra 150 and be set for future mods...

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
PWFD
Road Master

I think I may have miss spoke. The stage one download with the SEHB is only going to set me back about $350 with my discounts I get at the dealer. The $800+ would be with the Race Tuner and Dyno. This is why I am leaning to the download way.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that you should get the stage 1 download for the 103 and use it in the 96's.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also did the stage 1 from the dealer. It cost me 139.99 for A/C, 149 for download and 37.50 for labor to install. If your getting the Heavy breather, download and install for 350.00 your gettin a good deal, that Heavy breather alone is right at 300.00. I am happy with mine for the moment, runs cooler, a bit stronger and no decel popping whatsoever.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
PWFD
Road Master

KingKingKing,

In your profile pic I see some black plastic around your SEHB. Is that by your choice or is that how the SEHB sits on the bike?

Thanks!

T