Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highest points trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Highest points trip

This story is about a recent trip my friend Buz and I took on Sep 3 to the highest points in Pa., Maryland, WV, VA, Tenn and NC.

Every trip should start with the checking of the bike for things like, oil levels, tire pressures and a general check of the bike. Having spent some time the day before to do this, we are ready to head out wed morning (Sep 3).

Getting up to 40 degree weather, brrrr it’s cold and we haven’t even left the garage yet. We finally get out on the road at 8:00 leaving N.E. Ohio and the adventure begins. We head down towards south of Pittsburgh where we will get on 76 to Somerset. Running down the road starting a trip, “wow” what a great feeling, cold but, the sun is out and making the leathers warm.
We are headed to Somerset where we pick up 219 south going to Mt. Davis, Pa. el 3213’. The rout to the Mt. is well marked by the state and getting there is easy. Once on top we find a nice park and picnic area and enjoy the now warm sunshine and take a break.

Next it’s on to Maryland and Backbone Mtn. el 3360’. We continue on Rt. 219on smooth roads through some awesome hills where the road just winds through the hills with gradual curves. Maryland obviously isn’t very proud of their highest point because there are no signs and no real destination point. We do ride the Backbone ridge and figure we are really on the highest point, so on to WV.

We stay on Rt. 219 going through the Alleghany Mtns. and the road stays smooth as we wind around curves and trees that canopy the road. We get to Rt. 33 and turn east going to Elkins WV as the day is winding down after covering over 400 mi. We decide to stay in Elkins for the night as we don’t care to deal with mountain roads at night with all the little Bambi’s waiting around the next curve.

We have hit two high points this day with an awesome ride so, I decided to stop here with the story so it is not to long and will start with chapter 2 if anyone is interested tomorrow. Yes I have pictures, that's me in the first picture of this chapter.

Attached Thumbnails Highest points trip-highest-point-in-6-states.....sept.2nd.to-the5th.-006.jpg   Highest points trip-highest-point-in-6-states.....sept.2nd.to-the5th.-005.jpg   Highest points trip-highest-point-in-6-states.....sept.2nd.to-the5th.-010.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Awesome... I have ridden around those parts and it is beautiful.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My highest point was in 1980 to the top of Pikes Peak.
Funny thing is we never took a picture on top, but here's one about 3/4 the way up.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love a good riding story!!! Bring on the other chapters and more pictures!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll bump this thread so if anyone wants to read the first chapter of the Highest points ride without going back to look for it.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

Nice write up Dave. 6 state high-point, that's a good theme for a nice ride.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master

Sounds like some good riding!

We are doing a "Haul You *** Over The Passes Fall Color Ride" this weekend - 7 passes over about 300 miles in the Rocky Mtns. Really looking forward to it as I have been working way too much after taking a week off to go to the in-laws for a funeral and we have another one for a fallen brother next week. Need some quality miles to lighten the mood around the house.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Lass7711
Tourer

I haven't been able to ride much lately. Helping build my daughter's house when not at work. I enjoy reading about other's adventures when I get the time. Bring on chapter 2.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
Sounds like some good riding!

We are doing a "Haul You *** Over The Passes Fall Color Ride" this weekend - 7 passes over about 300 miles in the Rocky Mtns. Really looking forward to it as I have been working way too much after taking a week off to go to the in-laws for a funeral and we have another one for a fallen brother next week. Need some quality miles to lighten the mood around the house.
You should have a good ride...see plenty of colors changing! Last weekend, en route home from my labor day weekend road-trip, I rode from Steamboat to Walden via US-40 & CO-14 and there were plenty of Aspen's changing color already. There were a few places where the Aspen's were already to the red phase.