Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a sound deadning product inside there Fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Terminator69
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using a sound deadning product inside there Fairing?

Hi,I was wondering if any one was using a Noise deadning product such as Dynamat or something similiar Inside there fairing, If you are what kind, Did it do any good, Positives Vs Negatives? Thanks Ahead, Todd

Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it in my fairing 6" sq behind each speaker. I get a lot of compliments on the sound. I gotta admit, some tunes and the right conditions you would think you are at a concert.

AC/DC, slow speed, down town. Yeah thats the right mixture.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I put some on Dynamat on the inside of my outer fairing just a few weeks ago. I got it from the local audio shop for $20. I'm not sure it made a huge difference, but I can tell the difference mostly at higher speeds. A little more clarity, and also seems to give less distortion. Is that the same thing? I thought it was worth doing, since I had the fairing off. Again, not huge difference's, but noticeable.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

I used Dynamat Extreme (sticks better) then followed by Dynaorb behind the speakers, based on recommendations form the good folks here. Running an older Soundstream amp (D60II) and new version Hogtune speakers.

Real happy with the sound. Don't know how they sound without the mat and orb as I put those in before I add amp and speakers.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a good tip from Wayne who sells the ARC system, he told me to go to Wally World and by two mouse pads and put them right behind the speakers 6 bucks for two. Speakers should be here this week so will post on my findings.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the batwing off so put some Dynasorb squares while I had it off. Also put some squares in the rear pods since I got 4 squares for $30. It has made some difference in clarity and distortion and worth my price point of $30, anymore than this amt I would have to reconsider the value.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I put Dynaxorb squares on the inside of the outer fairing behind the speakers and it seemed to make a difference in sound. Seems to make for a better mid range and bass. Before I did the install I conducted an unscientific test. I placed my hand on the outer fairing behind each speaker while playing a CD and noticed a lot of vibration. After the install, there seemed to noticeably less vibration with the same CD, same volume, etc.

If you look at the J&M 7.25" speaker kits being tested by some HDF'ers and listed on their website, the kits include material to be applied to the inside of the outer fairing behind the speakers. Presumably, it's intended to do what the Dynaxorb does. Perhaps JMJOHN can chime in on the topic.

Firecap (Wayne) gave me the same tip about the mouse pads when I was purchasing the Dynaxorb. He also suggested packing the glove boxes on the fairing lowers with Polyfil when I was installing Hog Tunes fairing lowers speaker kit and I did. I don't have any before and after "test" but he knows what he's talking about and I did it. A bag of the stuff costs $3 IIRC at a craft supply shop.

Bottom line: I wouldn't say the Dynaxorb was a dramtic change in sound; just different and better IMO.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the polyfil for the lowers. I'll get some today.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Good thread, I never even thought to try this, thanks.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 AM
sandnessmj
Cruiser

I plan on using some eDead (http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24) when I upgrade my audio. Cheaper than Dynamat and works just as well. Also, the V4 Teklite stuff (also on the same link) is closed cell foam (read: won't soak up moisture and rot) and works great to stop rattles and such.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a sound deadning product inside there Fairing?