Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding rear speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding rear speakers.

Hello all,

2008 FLHX with adjustable back rest and king tour pack. Running an amp (through line level converter) to Hogtune fairing speakers. Thinking of adding rear speakers with these speaker pods:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I can T-tap the speaker wires and use those to power the rear speakers. Don't think I'll be over loading the OEM radio as the radio is not powering the front speakers, as they're only feeding the signal to the amp. plus I'll use either 4 or even 8 ohm speakers, just for rear fill, I don't even need a fader control.

Here is my question: I ride solo, can I even benefit by adding rear speakers for my solo listening enjoyment? I know is basically design for passenger mostly, hence the separate volume control. Hate to go through the trouble and expense and not hearing those rear speakers at highway speed.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't hear those back speakers at anything over 50 mph. I ride w/o the tp a lot and can't tell much difference. I have Hogtunes all the way around, lower fairing, tweeter pod and amp, so six speakers up front may be the reason I don't notice the back so much.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
wattspd
Cruiser

When you say T-tap what do you mean? How many channels is your amp? How many watts peak and RMS is the amp? Depending on how much power your pumping out of the speakers will make the difference on if you will hear them or not. Remember a good system with two speakers will sound better than four or six crappy ones any day.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by wattspd
When you say T-tap what do you mean? How many channels is your amp? How many watts peak and RMS is the amp? Depending on how much power your pumping out of the speakers will make the difference on if you will hear them or not. Remember a good system with two speakers will sound better than four or six crappy ones any day.

Using an older Soundstream D60II 2 channel amp. RMS 30Wx2-4 ohms. ~60Wx2-2ohms. T-tapping the OEM speaker output to line level converter to amp. This way, OEM radio is powering the rear speakers. Amp gets signal from radio speaker outputs, amp not driving rear speakers.

In other words, OEM radio is powering rear speakers as well as feeding signal to amp through the line level converter to fairing speakers.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hogtunes Ultrasound and you can not hear the rear speakers but are good for the passenger. Want more sound then add the Hogtunes tweeter pods

Old 09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
wattspd
Cruiser

I would say no at freeway speed. The power you are running to the rear speakers is about 10 watts rms from the factory headunit. Not to mention the loss of power that will result in the speaker wires being so long to the tour pac. I would say upgrade the front speakers & amp with some primo stuff and hold off drilling holes into your tour pac for now. Be prepaired to spend some bucks on a system. Hog tunes is cool but I would go for the hawgwired setup. Buy it once and do it right.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. I have ARC and amp with 6-1/2's upfront and added 5-1/4" in back to added on pods on my 04 EGC and I can't tell at any speed hardly they are back there. my .02cents

Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Thank you for all your replies. I'll save myself the troubles and money by sticking to what I have, at least for now. Can't add HogPod as my fairing mount GPS is in the way. Can't add lower fairing speakers either as I'm using Hog Chopps.

Not unhappy with the sound I have now, just want to see if I can get more by simply adding rear speakers. Actually I'm pleasantly surprised by the sound I got wearing 3/4 and sometimes full face helmet @ highway speed.

I get bored easily and having tunes while riding prevent me from "spacing out". Before I ride the StreetGlide, I had a 2007 Sportster 1200, and had to sing to myself often on long trips. It resonate quite well within a full face helmet

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by Pez at Hogtunes that the only time you can hear the rear speakers is without a passenger. They are for the solo rider only, was told the passenger won't hear them.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Originally Posted by electra glide
I was told by Pez at Hogtunes that the only time you can hear the rear speakers is without a passenger. They are for the solo rider only, was told the passenger won't hear them.
It depends on weather she covers them up or not.....

Quick Reply: Adding rear speakers.