Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCB Brake system

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a set for the Ultra a few minutes ago. We'll see what happens.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
CoachJ
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink TCB Braking System

If you have any questions, or are interested in buying them, you should give Mark Lipski a call. He is the inventor and owner, and will give you a better price than the online price. His number is 903.569.2998. He is a funny guy. He doesn't try to be a salesman(which is a good thing), but a kick to chat with.

Oh, and make sure that you tell him that Coach at HDOpenroad.com sent you! Never hurts to get my name out there too ;-)

Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Fulmer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thereal142
I installed one on the rear of my '07 FLHX. They come in four different "strengths"....I am totally impressed with the greatly improved feel of the rear brake. Gone (or at least greatly diminished) is the touchiness in a bad moment in traffic, but the braking effort is not increased. All it does is take the edge off a too-quick jab to the pedal. Having locked my rear brake many times over the years, I feel this device is exactly what I was looking for. I can only speak for rear brake application. I have been riding since I was 11 years old, and riding Harley Davidsons since I was 19. I believe I am qualified to say that they work in a real-world way, at least for riders that are smart enough to realize that their brakes will take different amounts of application pressure on different surfaces to lock/avoid lock. Again, all the TCB does is buffer the initial jab to the pedal; the brake will still lock up if you want it to, and brake application is easier to modulate. The best $75 I've spent in the last few years. Not theory, just fact....
In addition to my previous comments. You may want to consider what happens when you run out of travel in your master cylinder. You bottom it out and no matter how much harder you push/squeeze you can't get any additional braking. Why is this relevant? These devices are basically a spring loaded piston which "absorbs" brake fluid when the brake pressure is high enough to overcome the spring force on the piston. The different "strength" levels can be accomplished by using different initial spring forces. This will feel like mushy brakes at higher braking forces. Fluid ends up going into the device instead of to the brake calipers and thus you increase the risk of the master cylinder bottoming out. Motorcycle manufacturers design master cylinders with enough excess travel to account for bleed variations, travel increases due to lining wear over life, single point failures in the brake system ... You're basically throwing all this design work out the window and possibly putting yourself at risk.
Everyone certainly has the right to decide for themselves what is best; I'm just arming you with the negatives not covered in the sales pitch.

Ride Safe

Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulmer
In addition to my previous comments. You may want to consider what happens when you run out of travel in your master cylinder. You bottom it out and no matter how much harder you push/squeeze you can't get any additional braking. Why is this relevant? These devices are basically a spring loaded piston which "absorbs" brake fluid when the brake pressure is high enough to overcome the spring force on the piston. The different "strength" levels can be accomplished by using different initial spring forces. This will feel like mushy brakes at higher braking forces. Fluid ends up going into the device instead of to the brake calipers and thus you increase the risk of the master cylinder bottoming out. Motorcycle manufacturers design master cylinders with enough excess travel to account for bleed variations, travel increases due to lining wear over life, single point failures in the brake system ... You're basically throwing all this design work out the window and possibly putting yourself at risk.
Everyone certainly has the right to decide for themselves what is best; I'm just arming you with the negatives not covered in the sales pitch.

Ride Safe
The thing MIGHT hold 2cc of brake fluid; it's tiny...so again your armchair theorizing bites the dust...

Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Fulmer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thereal142
The thing MIGHT hold 2cc of brake fluid; it's tiny...so again your armchair theorizing bites the dust...
I bet you're pretty close on the 2cc estimate. So here is the issue. Motorcycle master cylinder piston diameters are around 1.5 - 2.0cm and they stoke maybe 1.5cm max. Picking the biggest numbers my math says pi*(2.0^2)*1.5/4 = 4.7cc is the volume a very large master cylinder can provide to the brake system. If you don't trust my numbers just pull one apart and measure. Anyway, you're "small" 2cc volume seems pretty big now doesn't it? Send 2cc of fluid to the device and you've used almost half of what is available to you. Eat my armchair dust!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Hey Mark Lipkski!!!!! I see that you've commented once on this thread. Care to add any comments to what's being said? I just purchased two of your products because of another thread and what your site had to say. Did I waste my $170.00 hard earned dollars or will these items actually get me half way to the ABS brakes I have on my other bike????? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
myred55
Road Master

Originally Posted by cbears
I ordered a set for the Ultra a few minutes ago. We'll see what happens.
Thanks, please keep me posted.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 585 Likes on 425 Posts

"I ordered a set for the Ultra a few minutes ago. We'll see what happens." well cbears. You have assumed control as the official HDForums Tcb tester. Seeing as how you have a abs bike to compare it to. Its perfect. Please give a review after a good test of them. We are waiting with with open eyes. If I ever run into you someplace I'll buy you a cold one. I'm in KCMO. If your ever down this way give me a hollar.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 09-10-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
CoachJ
Intermediate
Default Inquiring minds

I usually let those that want to rant to just have at it. Within time, they generally show that they just have a gripe about anything.

The truth is, there is no change of travel in the master cylinder. That is the silliest thing I have heard yet, and I have heard a few things since I wrote the article. The system is under pressure. You squeeze the brakes, more pressure. The TCB system merely prevents the brakes from immediately locking up. This prevents your tire from locking when in a lack of traction mode, as happened to my brother. And yes, it stops quicker than stock! And better than my ABS.

Somebody noted that an experienced rider in the right circumstances can stop his bike faster without ABS. But how often does the exact circumstances happen. And what about the odd circumstance where it is wet, or slick, or on a corner, etc. Let's prepare for the worst, and enjoy the rest!

No, you will be happy with the TCB System. No change under normal circumstances, but will save your butt on the odd situations!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Fulmer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CoachJ
I usually let those that want to rant to just have at it. Within time, they generally show that they just have a gripe about anything.

The truth is, there is no change of travel in the master cylinder. That is the silliest thing I have heard yet, and I have heard a few things since I wrote the article. The system is under pressure. You squeeze the brakes, more pressure. The TCB system merely prevents the brakes from immediately locking up. This prevents your tire from locking when in a lack of traction mode, as happened to my brother. And yes, it stops quicker than stock! And better than my ABS.

Somebody noted that an experienced rider in the right circumstances can stop his bike faster without ABS. But how often does the exact circumstances happen. And what about the odd circumstance where it is wet, or slick, or on a corner, etc. Let's prepare for the worst, and enjoy the rest!

No, you will be happy with the TCB System. No change under normal circumstances, but will save your butt on the odd situations!
I never said they add significant travel all the time and I apologize for the confusion. They add travel when they start "working" (pressure gets high enough) and all my previos statements remains valid. By the way, I'd be very interested in a test on the wet, slick surfaces you mention. Also, a technical explaination from the inventor of how all this remarkable performance is achieved would be great.

Quick Reply: TCB Brake system