Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield cleaning to reduce fog

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
woodys3b
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield cleaning to reduce fog

When the sun goes down and the temp approaches the dew point, the windshield on my FLHT gets a thin layer of fog on it that makes it very difficult to see through. Any recommendations on cleaners or other products that will help me eliminate this?

Thanks
Andy

Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
cdesero
Tourer

I had the same problem used many different products nothing worked for me. Cut the windshield down two inches not a problem now.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Originally Posted by woodys3b
When the sun goes down and the temp approaches the dew point, the windshield on my FLHT gets a thin layer of fog on it that makes it very difficult to see through. Any recommendations on cleaners or other products that will help me eliminate this?

Thanks
Andy

Last year, I just hung a towel over mine. I have started using Plexus on both sides of the shield...but my temps haven't gotten to the dew point yet...So I don't know if it is going work?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
woodys3b
Novice

Ya, I hate to look through windshields on motorcycles and until I got this bike I refused to do it. Now I have gotten used to it. I like the wind protection it gives me and my wife likes it even more. I'm concerned that cutting down the shield will create a buffeting problem that I dislike even more than looking through the shield. What is your experience with that?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Originally Posted by woodys3b
Ya, I hate to look through windshields on motorcycles and until I got this bike I refused to do it. Now I have gotten used to it. I like the wind protection it gives me and my wife likes it even more. I'm concerned that cutting down the shield will create a buffeting problem that I dislike even more than looking through the shield. What is your experience with that?
Took me a little getting use to also ( looking through ) I thought about trimming mine down, but the wife said she wishes I wouldn't. When she sits upright enough to see over me, she catches full strength wind. Just sitting normal she is just under the wind stream. I don't know really about buffeting, but it stands to reason...if you trim the height, you will lower the extent that the air stream rises over you. The only time I really am forced to look over (which I know is what you're suppose to do) is riding in the rain. The Plexus makes the rain bead off real good, but then it runs down the backside....which is why I apply it to both sides.

I am really thinking about getting a 10" Long Ride Shield. I should be able to look over it with ease, and the curv should deflect the wind stream, and keep the wife happy. But I have a few other items on the list ahead of the sheild.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
LVdennis
Intermediate

Honda Cleaner works wonders on my face shield and wind shield. I don't know if it will assist you with fog though. Good Luck

Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Plexus all last year and it never fogged up, don't know if that was it or I just got lucky.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
ronn39
Road Master

I bought my '02 RK used and it came with a 17-inch windshield. The buffeting about drove me nuts and the wife wasn't very happy with it either. I went with the 22-incher from Cee Bailey. Yup, I do look through it, though I can peak over the top if I choose. But I'm real happy with it and so is she, especially on the winter rides.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Smear a few drops of dish soap (I use Dawn) on the back side of it. Just enough to leave a thin film.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

harpoonman, i just put a 10" longride windshield on my 08 streetglide and i'm 6'4" tall, works great. i got the medium gray tint and can see over it by about 2 1/2" it does flip the windstream over the helmet just the right amount. i am also using a roadglide seat on it, so that raises me up another inch or maybe a little more. i can't imagine looking through a windshield. always over by a couple of inches. ride it your way if you like looking through a windshield though, it's your bike.

Quick Reply: windshield cleaning to reduce fog