Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Premium Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HD Premium Air Horn

Picked up the HD air horn and install kit today. Horn part number 69423-05
Listened to a couple of bikes at my dealer on Saturday,salesman's bike had the HD air horn, other customer bike had a dual set of stainless trumpets.

The trumpets sounded good but the HD air horn is really deceiving, lay on the horn and it sounds like a freight train!!

The horn is a simple kit but running the wiring was a pig.
The previous owner had stripped the front gas tank bolts and the idea with the wiring is to lay it alongside the left wiring on the top of the backbone.

Ran the wires along bottom of backbone until I can get the bolts changed out.

After hooking it all up, let a short blast go and the neighbours came out to see if a lake freighter was coming down the street.
Better half was in the backyard doing some gardening, she came out front to the driveway to check on these things.

Perfect horn to wake up unconscious drivers (and maybe give them a heart attack).

This horn was well worth the money..
Dale

Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD Premium Air Horn

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about one of those horns. What wiring has to be done. I figured it would use the stock horn wiring.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

The wiring harness that comes with the kit is really well thought out.
I just had the issue running the wires until I get the tank bolts changed.

The harness is a complete kit.
The harness has a built-in fuse holder, a negative ground and a + lead which goes striaght to the battery terminal.
The long part of the lead runs up under your tank and then comes straight down to the new horn.
It still uses the stock horn wires, you just add a harness to them.

You have to snip off one of the old L connectors from the old horn, bare a short section of wire and insert it into a connector thats already attached and crimp it.

The new horn replaces the entire cowbell assembly.

If my gas tank bolts were removable, it might have taken me 30 minutes to install.
Instead I had to think out my wiring and spent the better part of 2 hours goofing around.
Once I replace the tank bolts, I'll re-run the harness and zip tie it to the backbone harness.

They even have a small hose that you run from the compressor up under your seat to keep the unit from ingesting water in a rainstorm.

BTW, when you look at the unit in the dealership, you might think 'this thing is pretty wide', don't worry, it doesn't even come close to your left leg.

Dale

Old 06-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to hear that puppy.

I just received and installed the Mini Beast.
This thing is so loud it is either gonna prevent a wreck or make someone poop themselves.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired a Stebel Nautilus (same company that I'm told makes the H-D horn) and that since its an air horn comes with a relay. That is switched by the stock wiring but still it draws the air horn current from the alternate power souce (batter or breaker stud by battery or the accessory power plug on the red wire by the battery) with an inline fuse and another ground lead to the frame. At least thats how I wired mine.

The horn I have is pretty dang loud. Have not compaired to the H-D air horn yet, but would like to do so. I've mounted mine on the forward upper shock mount to the cylinder fan.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_489993/tm.htm

has picture of mine installed.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:16 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

Taking the wife on a mini-vacation to a resort for a few days.
Back on Friday.

This weekend I'll try and make a small video or .wav file that I can post and give people an idea.

Earlier this evening, had to run an errand on the bike and was looking for an unsuspecting cager to blast, figures everyone was on their best driving behaviour. On the way home there was a trio of teenage girls just sitting on the grass next to the road talking and waving to cars going by, when they waved at me I let them have a short blast, I think they soiled themselves as I could hear them howling and laughing as I was going down the street...

Dale

Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cruise_carter

Back on Friday.

This weekend I'll try and make a small video or .wav file that I can post and give people an idea.

Earlier this evening, had to run an errand on the bike and was looking for an unsuspecting cager to blast, figures everyone was on their best driving behaviour. On the way home there was a trio of teenage girls just sitting on the grass next to the road talking and waving to cars going by, when they waved at me I let them have a short blast, I think they soiled themselves as I could hear them howling and laughing as I was going down the street...

Dale

LOL, Thats having too much fun, I like it!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 AM
21Yankee
Cruiser

Bought one awhile back, and I like it!

Old 06-15-2006, 02:44 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Dale let me know how the wav file turn out,because i have the howard hog horns and i would like to hear yours, as well some exhaust files from other members if i can just get this mpeg crap figured out!

Back on Friday.

Dale

Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

Earlier this evening, had to run an errand on the bike and was looking for an unsuspecting cager to blast, figures everyone was on their best driving behaviour.
It's working already.
8^)

Quick Reply: HD Premium Air Horn