Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse keep blowing on accy plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 PM
MACHD03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse keep blowing on accy plug

Please help, I connected the Supplemental 12v Power Point connector to the accy plug under the seat, did as the hd manual stated, then pluged in my gps (the gps was off) as soon as I turn the accy switch on the fuse blew, actually blew 3 of them.

Anyone have an idea what the cause maybe?

Thanks
Mac

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it's possible the connector is defective and shorting out, or the harness you've attached to it is bad. Does it blow fuses when the bike is turned on with nothing attached to the accy cord? If not try just rigging up a light bulb as a load instead of the GPS, no sense risking it while testing. Popping 2-3 fuses doesn't make sense if it's just a single additional circuit, any chance you got some wires pinched together during the R&R?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHD03
Please help, I connected the Supplemental 12v Power Point connector to the accy plug under the seat, did as the hd manual stated, then pluged in my gps (the gps was off) as soon as I turn the accy switch on the fuse blew, actually blew 3 of them.

Anyone have an idea what the cause maybe?

Thanks
Mac
You did what according to what manual to what connectors to what bike?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Is the connection to the accessory port under the seat reversed? Take an ohm meter and measure resistance from the positive terminal on the accessory device to ground, I bet it reads zero.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM
MACHD03
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Glenn W
it's possible the connector is defective and shorting out, or the harness you've attached to it is bad. Does it blow fuses when the bike is turned on with nothing attached to the accy cord? If not try just rigging up a light bulb as a load instead of the GPS, no sense risking it while testing. Popping 2-3 fuses doesn't make sense if it's just a single additional circuit, any chance you got some wires pinched together during the R&R?
Does it blow fuses when the bike is turned on with nothing attached
It blows the fuse when you turn the ignition on and with something attached.
If item is un-pluged from the Supplemental 12v Power Point connector, the light on the accy switch is on, and no fuse blown, as soon as you turn the ignition on put the accy switch on and plug in something the fuse blows.
I will check the electrical around the area I was in.

Thanks
Mac

Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If item is un-pluged from the Supplemental 12v Power Point connector, the light on the accy switch is on, and no fuse blown, as soon as you turn the ignition on put the accy switch on and plug in something the fuse blows.

Thanks
Mac
I'd unplug the accy plug and turn on the bike, then the switch, then plug in the connector. If the fuse blows at any point, that point will let you know where the problem is. Too early to make guesses. I hate this stuff, if I was there with a meter I could track it down no sweat. Maybe hold your bike up to the monitor and i'll take a peek?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks
Mac
Sounds like it would be the "plug insomething" that is the problem. It would be helpful if you could tell us the year and model bike you are dealing with. As suggest prior, try using a 12v bulb instead of your device. There is more than one "free" connector under the seat, also.

Last edited by wldbill; 09-08-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like whatever you have wired to that circuit is wired incorrectly. Its not uncommon to see a plug wired backwards when using connections like that. Just double check everything is wired correctly, and you don't have any shorts in the accessory wiring

Old 09-08-2009, 01:00 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Mine blew once because the outlet plug , the part that looks like a cigarette plug made contact with the frame and shorted out! Got it taped up real good with black electrical tape now!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you use the part that Harley sells or did you wire it yourself? I blew the fuse the first time I hooked up the 12v power without the Harley connector.

This may not be anything you are interested in, but for power for the GPS; I really wanted to hook it in up front; the cigarette lighter doesn't work for anything other than the lighter (at least on my '09 Ultra). It was a pretty easy change out ; I removed the front fairing cover (7 small screws) and replaced the lighter socket with the accessory socket I bought from HD, it is an exact size replacement and it has a nice finished look because it comes with a plastic cover with the HD logo. The cord/adapter doesn't hit the bike in a full lock turn either. You could forgo the whole issue for about $20 and still have the nice connector for your accessory spot for the future.

Quick Reply: Fuse keep blowing on accy plug