Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing front fork (got right one out)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Completely remove the pinch bolt from the lower tree then tap a screw driver into the pinch gap to spread it a little bit. A strap wrench should be able to turn the fork.
Make sure the bottom of the fork isn't touching the floor. 8-)
This is not the problem. I can tell that it's loose in the lower triple tree because I've had it turning. As a matter of fact, I lowered the cowbell and gripped on the shaft and twisted. Twisted in the wrong direction and noticed I was loosening the cap that the cap bolt screws into. I noticed it and screwed it back in, but it's definately frozen at the top triple tree, and there's no pinch bolt there that I'm aware of. Gonna try the 2x4 and I'm probably gonna have to remove my handlebars, but I'm all clean and showered right now and I'm gonna wait til tonight until I get all sweaty again.....not to mention I have a splitting headache right now.

I appreciate all the input and one of these techinques is gonna get that bastard out.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I've also seen a brass drift and hammer used on the buggers. They will rust in there tight! Hope you don't have to take the whole damn thing apart!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use dawg's magic hammer, it works on everything!

And it that doesn't work.........

Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
Use dawg's magic hammer, it works on everything!

And if that doesn't work.........
Took your cam cover off didn't it

Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If worse comes to worse, you could try some freon on the triple tree and fork to contract them a tad, the try tapping it out...

Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, sure did!!

Originally Posted by dawg
Took your cam cover off didn't it

Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Dammit man, I've done it all. I've banging on this thing so much I should have won one of those cheesy carny stuffed animals already. I did the socket and hammer thing with so much PB blaster that I should buy stock and have moved it some (1st pic), that inspired me to whack the **** out of it and it moved somemore (2nd pic), I even had some help (can't help but post pics of my little girl).

But I feel like there's some hidden pinch bolt or something. I've had the pinch bolt out, screwdriver wedged in there, and whacking the **** out of it and...nada. Over the past 2-3 days I've walked out there a handful of times and sprayed PB, whacked, sprayed more PB and walked away cussing. I was able to rotate the fork tube in the lower tree (the one with the pinch bolt) but I was unscrewing it from the cap, so I'm extremely, very much so, fairly confident that it's not frozen at the lower tree. I even sprayed (don't have any freon, but I'm not comfortable with that idea) one of those cans of compressed air - that you use to spray air and clean your keyboard and computer stuff - upside down so it sprays freezing air and banged on the fork immediately after. I feel that it's so frozen I might be banging a bend in the top tree. I don't see any evidence of this, but hell.

Anyways, here are the pics and I guess I'll just keep whacking the **** out of it, but I wanted to post here to confirm that I'm going about this the right way or if I'm heading for trouble.

Damn I love this little turd. Keeps my fatass sane while beating the **** out of my bike. She's so dame cute. Mama told me that she heard me in working in the garage and she ran and grabbed her tools and was running down the hall saying "I help daddy!"

Last edited by fatguyona1000; 09-10-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You stated twice that you can turn the fork tube but it unscrews the fork cap. This suggests to me that the cap is making contact with the upper clamp and maybe preventing the fork tube from sliding out. I would remove the cap (be careful of the spring pressure) and then try turning the tube by hand with downward pressure.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

The cap is definately making contact and it's frozen in there. I've removed the cap bolt just to clarify. I can turn the tube by hand now and unscrew it completely from the fork cap and slide it out of the lower tree, but then I would still have a stuck cap in my upper tree. And I was just gonna take my forks to Harley and let them take the sliders off because I didnt want to deal with it.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you have the tubes out it's easy to unbolt the triple tree. You then can take the upper tree to the dealer or anyone with a press and have the top nut pressed out.

Quick Reply: Need help removing front fork (got right one out)