Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TomTom Rider 2 or Garmin Zumo 550 ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
ACRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Woodchuck, that's exactly what I do with my 2610 and mapsource and it's exactly what I've been looking for in a new GPS. Thanks also for the tip about the 660 as I'm not an XM subscriber. Great info and much appreciated.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zumo 550. Added lifetime XM radio, purchased lifetime map updates from Garmin at very reasonable price. Have been extremely happy with their customer support.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have owned both. TOM TOM has excellent customer support. The Garmin is much easier to enter your destination.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

The customer service/user service at TomTom is the WORST I have ever seen!!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my zumo 550!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugar
I have a Zumo 550. Very happy with it.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The early TOM TOM ryder had a mount that had trouble making contact and affected charging. I complained about this after I had owned it more than 1 year and they sent me a whole new one with a revised mount. Included was a box to send the old one back. This on trust-no credit card #'s. The Garmin is still easier to enter destinarions. With TOM TOM you have to know the cities name first. With Garmin you can do "search all cities" for the street. Sometimes people tell me a city name that is not exactly accurate and I am then stumped with TOM TOM.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Living & riding in Florida, I thought it woulod be cool to subscribe to the XM Weather Service available with my Roadtech Zumo 550. How cool would that be to get real-time radar overlayed on the map so you can streer around the bad stuff.

So, take a guess how much per month? .......$90.00... PER MONTH! ARE YOU SIRIUS?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:59 PM
NeilP
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this thread is a bit old now and the OP has probably bought his GPS now...what did you get...any opinions?

Even so, i throw in a few comments for any one looking to make the decision on what to buy.

Well i had the TomTom Rider v2 and yes it works great, but I did not like how some of the functions worked with regard to finding POI's...you had to specify where you wanted it to search (Along the route, In a City , near destination).
For example:
If you have downloaded a load of Points of Interest (POI's) of say all Harley dealers in Europe and while you are out riding you feel the need to go to the nearest dealer...If you have a route planned and you are using it, then it will only find dealers along that route ( do not know what distance it uses from the route). So may be you have just passed the town with the dealer? well it wont find that one.
So you could select Search near a particular town...same as above, you need to know which town to search in before it will fine it...No option to search your entire database of POI's...bloody annoying.
With a Garmin you do see a complete list without having to select where you think it may be.

Also with the tom tom route planning on the computer is a pain...you have to download third party software to do it (TYRE) As with most things support for the unit is better with Windows than Mac.
Bluetooth and music playingphone call routing from BT phone thru GPS to headset was good

I sold my Tom Tom and have just received a Garmin Zumo 660. I expected great things...but disappointed again. The bluetooth is crap, bursts of white noise, music player audio cuts out as soon as you link a phone.
I am using a Interphone/BlueAnt F4 intercom...maybe other BT coms units will perform better...but I think this is a Zumo problem rather than an intercom issue. I have heard about this 'white noise' burst issue on other forums

Tomtom has free Speed /safety camera downloads direct from the TomTom home software....Garmin ...you have to pay for it.

Tomtom has lots of instant download poi's available from with the PC/mac software (Tom Tom Home)

A lot more 'cracks' for Tomtom maps seem to be available, so you can try out new map updates before buying them your self (GPSunderground forums)

So I have used both types and have been disappointed with both, so the best you can do is try and borrow one of each and give them a good work out.

They are both good capable machines, with good and bad points. Ok so i am probably more demanding than a lot of users...I am funny like that, I buy the top of the range bits and pieces..and then get upset when they do not work as advertised, or only half the features work properly

Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Tomtom App on Iphone is what I use, delighted with what is approaching ultimate single device. Sounds like it wouldn't cost a whole lot more. As a satnav I found the app more than adequate but then I have used TomTom for years.

Quick Reply: TomTom Rider 2 or Garmin Zumo 550 ????