Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TomTom Rider 2 or Garmin Zumo 550 ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhbuilds
anyone try the nuvi 500 or 550?
I have a Garmin zumo 660 and the nuvi 550. I really like the nuvi 550. It's waterproof and cycle friendly. I also use it when riding the quad. I has an off road setting. The zumo 660 is a great piece but if you want to save a some $ try the nuvi 550. Zumo is around 660.00 versus 250.00 for the nuvi.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom Tom is cheaper. After you buy it you find out why. Have a Garmin 550, its pricey but a good product with excellent product support.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 AM
ACRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodchuck
3. Map Source, included with the Zumo, is handy for creating a custom tour on the computer and then transferring it to the GPS. Just take the Zumo off Auto Recalculate when you're following a route you've developed.
Hey Woodchuck, I've got an old reliable Garmin Streetpilot 2610 which I love but it's a brick so I want to upgrade. I seem to be having trouble finding a GPS or info that confirms that I can plan my own routes and upload them into the unit as I can with my 2610. It uses Map Source also. I just wanted to confirm what you said....you can plan out your routes on the PC using Map Source then upload them directly into the 550? Most things I've found let you upload a single waypoint, not a complete route. If I can upload complete routes, then I think I've just found my next GPS.
Thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master

Originally Posted by ACRoadKing
Hey Woodchuck, I've got an old reliable Garmin Streetpilot 2610 which I love but it's a brick so I want to upgrade. I seem to be having trouble finding a GPS or info that confirms that I can plan my own routes and upload them into the unit as I can with my 2610. It uses Map Source also. I just wanted to confirm what you said....you can plan out your routes on the PC using Map Source then upload them directly into the 550? Most things I've found let you upload a single waypoint, not a complete route. If I can upload complete routes, then I think I've just found my next GPS.
Thanks!
Yes, the MapSource program loads on your computer as part of the download for the Zumo maps that is included in the Zumo 550 package.

I use the MapSource waypoint or route icon to map out routes and then transfer them to the 550 or an optional SD card. The advantage of transferring it to an SD card is that you can share the route with someone else with a 550. Using MapSource is a lot easier than building a route directly on the 550 by adding waypoints (which also can be done).

The 2610 is probably like the Zumo in that if you get off course by a few feet, it wants to recalculate. If the GPS is in the Auto Recalculate mode, then if you intentionally get off track, it will recalculate and take you to your destination the quickest or shortest way. I keep it on manual recalculate and press no at the prompt and find my way back to the highlighted route.

I have MapSource loaded onto a Netbook and map out the next day's route in the motel and load it on the GPS. On a recent tour through Nova Scotia, it got me through Dartmouth/Halifax like I was a native.

If you're not into XM radio, then I would go with the Garmin Zumo 660. It lists for less than the 550 and has a bigger screen but does not have the XM option. The XM option for the 550 requires the purchase of a not cheap antenna.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Zumo 550 for 2 years and recently upgraded to the Zumo 660. Loved them both, but I'm very happy with the upgraded screen and additional features on the 660. Either one is a good choice.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ZUMO's are waterproof..not sure about the tom tom.

Zumo 450 here and lovin it

Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM
confused
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you guys finding the best place to purchase the Zumo's 550 or 660?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master

Originally Posted by confused
Where are you guys finding the best place to purchase the Zumo's 550 or 660?
A friend and I both purchased our 550's on line at Key West Electronics.

http://www.keywestelectronics.com/

They were new and reasonably priced. We were skittish about purchasing on line but found Bruce to be a "stand up guy" and very helpful.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
US66harley
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Garmin all the way. I have both a Garmin and a Tom Tom and have lived at my address for 5 years. With updated map for TOM TOM my street still does not exist. My street was on the Garmin one map version ago. The points of interest seem to be more accurate on the Garmin also.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used our Zumo 550 all over Europe this summer and it took us to some of the neatest out of the way cow paths you could never find on a map I brought my laptop and made a new route every night for the following day's adventure. It wouldn't have been half the ride without it.

Marc

Quick Reply: TomTom Rider 2 or Garmin Zumo 550 ????