Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Looks Crooked On 09 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009 | 10:34 AM
snapperkid
|
6th Gear
Default Fairing Looks Crooked On 09 Road Glide

Standing still the fairing, wheels and tires look lined up perfectly. Inner fairing lines up straight as an arrow. While driving straight, the fairing looks to be slightly turned to the left. I took it back to the dealer and was told it's normal. They loosened up the front end and re-aligned it to factory specs. Same thing still. Could it be the rear wheel is not aligned properly and it's pushing the front slightly left in order to track straight while riding? This is really bugging the heck out of me.

Road Glides Rule

Old 09-07-2009 | 10:58 AM
texaswiz
Banned

It is not uncommon to find forks that are not aligned perfectly. Make the sobs get it right. You paid good money to have it set up right, call them out on it.

Old 09-07-2009 | 05:46 PM
sfchief
Tourer

Now ya done it. RG riders were doggin the bat-wing guys out about their crooked fairings not too long ago. I will now admit that both of my RG fairings were a bit off. The 03 was futher out than my 09. If the rear was badly out of line your riding buddies probably would have told you by now or you'd see strange wear on the rear tire. You did the right thing having it checked. If it really bothers you, you can always add some shims between the inner fairing and the left side of the fairing mount to even it up.

Old 09-07-2009 | 09:32 PM
snapperkid
|
6th Gear

Well, low and behold, I ran into an old Harley gearhead buddy of mine tonight. When I mentioned the fairing was off while riding he instantly said it was the rear wheel. He stated that most all Harley's are off a little bit, but that it shows on the fixed fairing of the Road Glide. He said it could be as little as an 1/8 to 1/4 inch and that would be enough that the rear tire will push more to one side and the inertia would cause the front to compensate by moving left or right depending on which direction the rear wheel and tire points. I'll check it out in the AM, adjust accordingly and post my result.