Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Front Brake Squeel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006 | 04:52 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser
Default RE: Road King Front Brake Squeel

Well I got off my lazy butt yesterday (stormin - rainin) and decided to take the hour and swap the rotors as per suggestion. It was drivin me crazy and was gonna order floating rotors but figured I would try this first. And I'll be damned if it isnt working, at least for now. I noticed that there is a slight squeal when braking backing it out of the garage this morning. The only thing I can figure it is the scalloped directional design of the rotors. Its harmonic frequency creates the squeal in one particular direction with these wheels. Swapping them puts this resonance condition in place when the bike is traveling backwards instead of forward. I wonder if the rotors were replaced with non-floating, non-directional (the SG rotors are stamped right/left) if the squeal would go away. Not an experiment for me though. If i buy new, they will be floating - get improved pad wear and less friction.

only time will tell if it comes back

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:00 PM
Basz
Road Master

Did a couple hundred miles yesterday. It was hot, inthe 90's.
Near the end of the day I started to get some brake squeal.

I thought it might have something to do with the heat.

At least after reading this - if it continues I'll know what to try.

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:55 PM
udnudn
Cruiser

I wouldn't be swapping parts that are clearly marked left and right. I had a long time HD wrench / drag bike builder tell me that at a HD tech school they told them NOT to swap sides with rotors, they could fail. I didn't want front brakes locking up @ 70 mph on my mind, so I asked the dealer to tell HD I would pay the difference in stock vs floating rotors. The dealer called HD and told them I was on my 3rd trip for the squeal deal --- scuffed and cleaned pads, put the f*&$!^& spray foam in the wheel, now try swapping sides, I'm tired of jackin with it and so was the dealer. HD said put the floaters on, dealer didn't charge me a penny. Guess what, with the floaters you can see the outside of the hub where they sprayed that crap in there. Trust me, you can't get it all out. I helped the mechanic soak and pick that crap out for an hour. Can't get it all out, you end up taking paint off. We got most of it and used touch up paint to cover the rest. Don't let em spray that crap in yer wheel. If worst comes to worst deal with the squeal until you can afford the floating rotors.[sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:09 PM
blowe
Tourer

Lyndall Z or Gold pads will get rid of the brake noise and produce little if any brake dust.

Lyndall Racing Brakes