Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 09:26 AM
Mark
|
Cruiser
Default Exhaust

I have a 1999 Road King Classic with the original stock pipes. Is there a way to de-baffle them?

Thanks

Mark

Old 11-21-2004 | 06:26 PM
GaSmokeDiver
4th Gear
Default RE: Exhaust

You could knock out the baffles with a long object and a hammer but I would not advise that. If your bike is EFI it might cause a lean mixture problem without ECM calabration. If your bike is a carb you could do it with slight adjustments to the carb, but the sound you get may not be desirable. I would suggest spending some money on a pair of slip ons. I have the D&D slip ons with removeable baffles, they sound really good. Good luck with your decision.....

Old 11-22-2004 | 05:14 PM
Mark
|
Cruiser

Thanks GaSmokeDiver!!

Mark

Old 02-06-2005 | 05:39 PM
bakelite
Intermediate

On another forum I was told that I could remove the baffles from my pipes, 04 Standard EFI, and it would be okay to ride to the Dealer's as long as I didn't change the intake to a better flowing one. I am going to try this. Anyone know of a good way to remove the baffles, I have been told with a hole saw but not sure what to do, I imagine hole saw the outlet end but will the baffles come out easily after hole sawing there?....thanks

Old 02-06-2005 | 05:57 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser

There are 2 baffle plates inside the muffler. One is very close to the inlet, and the other, you can see with the aid of a flashlight.
They are quite thin, and easily removed by a appropriately-sized pipe and a few swings from a BFH.
Of course, once you do this, you have ruined your stock pipes.
Should you need to present your bike for a sound test, say at the cop shop, you're hooped.

Old 02-06-2005 | 06:49 PM
bakelite
Intermediate

Thanks, not too concerned about ruining the stock mufflers, just cheap. *L* Is the other baffle at the inlet also? Can only one be removed? I am just looking to make a little more exhaust noise to drown out engine noise and I like the way stock mufflers look. I generally keep a low profile, stay out of towns as much as possible, show some respect when in towns by not throttling too hard. No problems with the cops.

Old 02-06-2005 | 07:15 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser

Yep...you can knock just 1, or both baffles out. Just depends on how you like the sound. Remove only the outlet side first, and go for a test ride.

BTW...how's life in the 'boo? Pretty cold or not?

Old 02-06-2005 | 07:24 PM
bakelite
Intermediate

Thanks, I will try the outlet only first, do you hole saw this one? Pretty good up here in the cariboo, not too cold, been a mild winter. Pretty soon I hope to see the Geese flying north, man that makes me feel good. ....of course it's the cariboo, you never know

*L* just saw your website, been to your shop many times, nice place! I always wondered why it is called what it is, being in Port Moody and all?

Old 10-05-2005 | 06:16 AM
06FLSTNI
6th Gear

OK, guys. I know this is an old thread, but it discusses the same thing I want to do.
I bought a new Fat Boy in '91, and the dealer kind good enough to "knock-out" the baffles for me (before it even left the dealership), and the results were so satisfying that I never did anything else to the exhaust system; therefore, I kept the clean, "stock look", saved a pile of money (more for the beer), and enjoyed that great Harley rumble.
Now I have a brand-new FLSTNI, but my new dealer says that he's not "allowed" to do that for me due to warrantee issues.
I always envisioned that "knocked-out" meant that he actually took a pipe & hammer and "removed" a whole baffle mechanism of some sort from the muffler, you know, something you could see laying on the bench when you were done.
The procedure you are describing here sounds like this is not the case. Sounds like you're merely taking a pipe & hammer and actually "punching a hole" through one or more thin, metal baffle plates, and when you're done, nothing is actually "removed" from the muffler.
Is this true, and if it is, the
1) What is the correct size of pipe to use for punching such holes through the baffle plates?
2) Which direction should I be punching from (intake or exhaust)?
3) Any other "Tips" on cleanly accomplishing this procedure?

Thanks in advance...