Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King GPS Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 AM
gobby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King GPS Install

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed a GPS unit on their Road King including some pics. Particularly the GPS brand/model, accompanying mounting hardware, and where it was fitted to the bike (maybe on the handlebars or rear of windshield etc). Also I've heard that some units have electrical problems due to the vibration from the bike?

I'm evaluating whether to pick something up for primary use in the car but also something that can be used as a "detachable" accessory for the longer trips on the bike.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Garrison1383
Cruiser
Default RE: Road King GPS Install

I was in the same situation as you... I wanted a sleek bike friendly gps that i could also use in my excursion. I with the Garmin Quest II and also ordered the smaller handlebar mount (not the ram mount - the ram mount i also bought but it is way to bulky for my taste).

The Garmin Quest II is color, great functions such as resterant/shop/gas locations.

I use it regularly and love it... It looks good on my bike and is a simple detach.

If you do like this set up - look around this forum as someon gave me a great place with a good price to purchase this unit at. I got it nearly $100 off the retail price. I just dont have that website on hand right now - but i may be able to find it.

I can email you a photo if you want.... I still cant get my photos to work on this forum.

Garrison

Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the HD unit on a Heritage Classic today....

VERY Simple and kinda painless....

Only downfall that I could see is the size of the unit....

Cell phone sized, but mounts at the L clutch lever bracket mount.....

Kinda sticks out a bit for my taste, but it is very accurate and slick....

Old 06-13-2006, 09:31 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

THE HARLEY QUEST NOW CAN BE HAD WITH A CAR MOUNT.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the cost on the Harley GPS?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 AM
rhinoevans
Tourer

check out the 276/376/378 series. much bigger screen and much brighter. He is a Wing mount. Comes with a marine mount. Drill a small hole in windshield and mount. Easy to remove. No additional cost. You can also use a RAM mount on the handlebar. This one is portable with a battery, so you DO NOT have to run a power cable. Too me the Quest is to small, however, if you are going to pre program your routes, and just listen to the turn by turn commands, I guess size DOESNT matter. Quest is to small to be looking at at 70 MPH.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM
ms3300
Road Captain

Ijust purchased the Garmin Streetpilot c330 with the suction cup mounting hardware. It seems to mount on the bottom of my windshield securely, right above the triple tree. I haven't ridden the bike with the gps installed yet, so the vibration may loosen the suction cup,i dont know, but it sure seems solid now. has anyone ridden with this set up? i have an 06 rk

Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
dr.phatkins
Cruiser

garmin zumo is the bomb!!! it comes with a motorcycle mounting kit and an auto mounting kit. i have it powered by my rkc accessory circuit. couldnt be happier.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Like another on this thread, I have a Garmin Streetpilot c330. I used a ram mount to attach it to my handle bar. Installed a cigarette lighter to assist the longevity of the unit.

I have taken several trips with it and am amazed at what it knows. I can also transfer it to my cage.

I'll try to remeber to take some pics.

I'm very pleased with the unit

Hack

Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
leond
Cruiser

Is anyone using a GPS and integrating it into the HK radio? I believe Harley's GPS kit includes wiring that connects the GPS to the radio via an aux in on the back of the radio.

I was wondering if the GPS is connected that way, is the only thing coming out of the radio the GPS? I'd like to be able to hear the GPS and tunes at the same time.

LeonD

Quick Reply: Road King GPS Install