Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OHLINS vs Stock Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:24 PM
joeyb
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OHLINS vs Stock Shocks

I didn't want to hijack the other threads, but I have some specific questions.

Background
My brother wants to upgrade to a Road King. I had him ride mine, a 2008 Classic, with no pressure in the shocks. The ride quality is still a little too harsh for him (we both are 150lbs). He's only interested in ride comfort.

1. For those of you who bought Ohlins, what model/length did you buy? And how much improvement was there relative to stock?

2. What's the difference between #2 and #3 (some of the posts in the other threads said they bought #2 and #3. Motorcycle Metal's site seems to show different shocks)?

3. Do #2 or #3 have adjustable dampers?

Thanks for any info,
Joe

Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Joe, Go to the type of bike you have ie: Bagger etc. The first number #2 is the type of shock and the next number denotes the length and stroke ie #2~#3 which is a Emulsified Length = 13 1/4"/337mm & Stroke: 4 3/32"/104 mm.

A Model # 3 is a separated (nitrogen gas separated by a piston from the oil) system, length externally adjustable, and rebound is also externally adjustable.

All shocks are individually built for the customer and no order is processed without a build form submitted by the prospective new purchaser. Shocks are a tool. A shock should be chosen by the features required by the individuals own riding style. Never purchase more features than needed.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

When I get the money to be able to afford it, I want Howard to build a rear setup for me. Wife has arthritis and every little bump affects her. Your brother will be happy with Howard.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:18 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,
You got the definitive answer above. Rather than ask for hearsay advice from people on the forum as to which would be best for you, go directly to Howard and he will build what you need. He worked closely with me. Probably exchanged at least 10 phone calls and emails in total. He didn't try to upsell me to something I didn't need. I have about 400 miles on the shocks now and am very happy with what he did for me.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to hi-jack this thread but what's the answer to the $64,000 question? I think just about everyone wants to know if they really are better than everything else and worth the investment.
Personally I've used Ohlins on racebikes (motocross) and they are a high quality unit and work superbly on long travel suspensions so I have no doubts regarding their quality. I simply hesitate to spend double the price of just about anything else without knowing if the ride will be twice as good.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I just ordered some 13¼" #2's and they should be shipping on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll have an early report by the weekend or early the following week.

I agree with Omgtkk that Howard is a very patient explainer and I didn't feel that he was trying to up-sell me to the #3's, although he did explain them after I asked. I decided on the #2's based on my understanding that the separated technology of the #3's would be most beneficial to off-road or adventure bikers who frequently get off the beaten path. Like most of us I keep on the pavement and try to avoid bad roads, and although I do some aggressive cornering I don't consider myself a candidate for the #3's.

I also didn't like the fact that the #3's had less stroke than the 13¼" #2's, which means more suspension travel that should translate into a better ride. I also didn't feel like I needed adjustable length or rebound control, so after about two weeks of study and about five calls to Howard I made the decision. If they're all they're touted to be I think they'll be a winner for $500.

As for how they compare to anything else on the market I will be able to give an assessment based on my experience with the 12" HD air shocks (std. SG) and 12½" Progressive 440's.

Last edited by iclick; 09-06-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Shock Choices

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Not to hi-jack this thread but what's the answer to the $64,000 question? I think just about everyone wants to know if they really are better than everything else and worth the investment.
Personally I've used Ohlins on racebikes (motocross) and they are a high quality unit and work superbly on long travel suspensions so I have no doubts regarding their quality. I simply hesitate to spend double the price of just about anything else without knowing if the ride will be twice as good.
Where would you get the idea that all Ohlins costs 100% more (2X the money) than an equivalent technology ie: emulsified nitrogen gas shocks vs emulsified nitrogen gas shocks (like a Progressive 440)?

This above pricing comparison does not include, for instance a sealed non nitrogen & non-rebuildable throw away (like a progressive 412) vs a lifetime buy only once, rebuildable, real spring choices, and re-valavable (in the case of ie: change motorcycle models (Sportster to Bagger) or your wife gains an extra 300 lbs).

I think the question should be asked to those previous Ohlins owners (on this forum for this application) who have already purchased a set of "made for them Ohlins" shocks; "Would you commit (sentenced) for a period of 3 years to use set of Progressive 440's for free (you must ride them full time and everywhere) or pay full price for a set of Ohlins". A very interesting question answered only by qualified and experienced Ohlins owners.

>>> And did I mention all varified HDF members get direct dealer pricing, the same price that my dealers pay for purchasing 10 or more sets at a time? *** One more great reason why being a HDF member and not a "Lurker" on the absolute best H.D. Chat site in the whole WWW://!!!!! *** (IMO)

Last edited by FastHarley; 09-06-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iclick,

I would be interested on your comparison of the Ohlins and the 440's. I also have the 12.5" standard spring 440's on my SG. They are a little firm during low speed riding and still bottom out on me on abrupt bumps. I have the preload at 2 full turns. I will add one more turn... What did you have yours set to?

I am 200lbs and with the lowered stock seat, I can reach the ground flat footed.

Thanks,
Theo.
'09 SG

Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tteazis
iclick,

I would be interested on your comparison of the Ohlins and the 440's. I also have the 12.5" standard spring 440's on my SG. They are a little firm during low speed riding and still bottom out on me on abrupt bumps. I have the preload at 2 full turns. I will add one more turn... What did you have yours set to?

I am 200lbs and with the lowered stock seat, I can reach the ground flat footed.
I weigh 175# suited up (no leather jacket) and have mine set on 3½ turns. Any less and it bottoms too easily, any more and it is too firm. I give it an extra ½-turn with a loaded Tour Pak attached.

Last edited by iclick; 09-07-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
I weight 175# suited up (no leather jacket) and have mine set on 3½ turns. Any less and it bottoms too easily, any more and it is too firm. I give it an extra ½-turn with a loaded Tour Pak attached.
I'll try 3.5 turns and go from there. Still interested in your Ohlins findings.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: OHLINS vs Stock Shocks