Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OHLINS vs Stock Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 AM
INZANE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard just sent me a picture of mine... they just got sent out

Attached Thumbnails OHLINS vs Stock Shocks-shocks.jpg  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pharoah
I was all set to go progressive, how much are these costing and what is with the rustoleum

Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
fgunnr
Intermediate

Howard built Ohlins for my '09 Roadglide. What an improvement. I highly recommend Howard to custom build your Ohlins.

Howard, thanks again for the great ride.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
INZANE
Tourer

they are the no. 3 option and cost $700 after the forum discount ($875 normal price).... Howard is awesome and really has some serious knowledge... the paint was a joke he made by saying he was going to customize my shocks to match the rest of my build... it just seemed to be the right decision after researching and talking to friends who use ohlins on their dirt and street bikes...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you get the can of Rustoleum and a brush with the kit?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Where would you get the idea that all Ohlins costs 100% more (2X the money) than an equivalent technology ie: emulsified nitrogen gas shocks vs emulsified nitrogen gas shocks (like a Progressive 440)?

This above pricing comparison does not include, for instance a sealed non nitrogen & non-rebuildable throw away (like a progressive 412) vs a lifetime buy only once, rebuildable, real spring choices, and re-valavable (in the case of ie: change motorcycle models (Sportster to Bagger) or your wife gains an extra 300 lbs).

I think the question should be asked to those previous Ohlins owners (on this forum for this application) who have already purchased a set of "made for them Ohlins" shocks; "Would you commit (sentenced) for a period of 3 years to use set of Progressive 440's for free (you must ride them full time and everywhere) or pay full price for a set of Ohlins". A very interesting question answered only by qualified and experienced Ohlins owners.

>>> And did I mention all varified HDF members get direct dealer pricing, the same price that my dealers pay for purchasing 10 or more sets at a time? *** One more great reason why being a HDF member and not a "Lurker" on the absolute best H.D. Chat site in the whole WWW://!!!!! *** (IMO)
Howard, I fully understand the internal differences in shock design but that doesn't answer the $64K question, although the question you propose certainly would. If your respondents previously had 440's and the response was positive for Ohlins it would be quite the testimonial and hard for me to resist.
What I am trying to do is justify spending another $700 (?) after the $375 I've already spent for the 440's currently on my Streeter. When we're talking about maybe 2.5" of travel is an even larger outlay of cash (approx. double) going to be cost effective.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
What I am trying to do is justify spending another $700 (?) after the $375 I've already spent for the 440's currently on my Streeter. When we're talking about maybe 2.5" of travel is an even larger outlay of cash (approx. double) going to be cost effective.
You're not alone with that problem. But you are a cheapskate for spending so little on the shocks you currently have!

A new dresser costs upwards of around $20k and servicing old ones costs roughly as much as a new one. So I think we all have to adjust our judgement on what represents real value for money, when buying a quality product. These Ohlins are an upgrade after all, not just a replacement. The least expensive option offered by Howard comes in at around $500 with discount I believe? For that we can have over 4 inches of travel, for just 2.5% the cost of a new bike. That's a bargain!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I am sure we all look forward to hearing how you get on with them when they arrive! Any comments about fitting and setting them up, as well as ride quality.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
INZANE
Tourer

will do... i think the bike will be completed in about two or three weeks... cheers

Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You're not alone with that problem. But you are a cheapskate for spending so little on the shocks you currently have!

A new dresser costs upwards of around $20k and servicing old ones costs roughly as much as a new one. So I think we all have to adjust our judgement on what represents real value for money, when buying a quality product. These Ohlins are an upgrade after all, not just a replacement. The least expensive option offered by Howard comes in at around $500 with discount I believe? For that we can have over 4 inches of travel, for just 2.5% the cost of a new bike. That's a bargain!
I guess from your post that I should consider myself lucky that such an "upgrade" doesn't cost more? Your argument that spending less than 2.5% of the cost of a new bike makes for a "cheapskate" is ludicrous and offensive. Chiding someone for being frugal? You can't be serious.
And I don't need a lecture on the difference between "upgrade" and "replacement" - I've got a handle on that since I've used Ohlins on several race bikes over the years. All I want to know is if they are a worthwhile investment to someone that already has Progressive 440's. Seems to be a question that even the wise and all-knowing grbrown has no answer for.

Quick Reply: OHLINS vs Stock Shocks