Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time

Debated long and hard about even saying anything about this. But being a long-time active member I am sure it would come out eventually.

I'm sure there are some that will scoff at this decision and a select will cheer. So here it is. After several failed attempts at making it work for me and lots of money lost I am getting rid of my 09 EG Classic in favor of a 2008. A 2008 Copper Top Road Glide to be more specific. I have tried numerous seats with no good results. I have even tried lowered suspension. Got me a little lower but sacrificed ride quality. I have come to the conclusion that my body just will not work on the current 09 frame in the aspect that I want it for. Short inseam, large thighs and a bad knee has me struggling to get my feet on the ground. And in the process of trying to do that it is causing major hip cramping and lower back pain as of late. Kinda takes the fun out of riding. Yeah I could go even lower on the suspension, but my wife and I ride too much and too many miles to be sitting on the ground. I bought the EG Classic coming off a Street Glide because I wanted the taller suspension. If I wanted lower suspension I would have stayed with or bought an 09 Street Glide. It is sad to say that in the process of making a better frame HD alienated some of it's riders. If they can find some way to narrow the frame back to the way it used to be while still keeping all the current characteristics they would be hitting a home run.

So why an 08?? Well I have owned several previous years touring bikes and have no problem getting my feet planted on the ground. So why a Road Glide some of you may ask. I owned an 07 Road Glide so I know how they ride an handle. When first test riding the 09 frame I equated it to handling as good as the 08 and earlier Road Glides. So in my eyes I am not giving up good handling. In fact about the only thing I am giving up is the wider rear tire. My attitude towards some things has changed since then as well. At that time I had the other RG I hated the idea of lowers. Well after riding with them for a while I love them. So I would have no problem adding them the RG to lessen the buffeting.

And for those of you who may be worried about the financial hit (there always are those guys) trust me when I say that I am getting an incredibly sweet deal. Wouldn't be an option if I wasn't. Being a repeat customer and their motivation to move a leftover 08 has it's perks. To the tune of around $5500 off original MSRP.

This decision did not come easy or quickly. My wife and I have been mulling it over for about a month and a half now while in the process of trying other options. We both love the EG Classic. But we have come to accept the fact that it isn't working and not making for a safe and comfortable ride for us. This decision is the best one for us.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Whatever floats your boat bro. We all do what we think is best for us.

So how about throwing your stock exhaust back onto the EGC before you trade and selling me the Bub 7s.

Well, at least put me down as potential buyer if you do sell-em.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to check out the new Victory Cross Country. Lower ride height than the SG , approx 2" more suspension travel and 105 foot pounds tourque ( stock ). I recently switch from a 04 Vic Vegas to a 09 SG and can tell you that Vic makes a good bike. The cross country wasn't out when I bought my SG, I cant say I would had bought the Vic but I would had been leaning towards the Cross Country initially if it had been out.

Sath

Old 09-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55

So how about throwing your stock exhaust back onto the EGC before you trade and selling me the Bub 7s.

Well, at least put me down as potential buyer if you do sell-em.

You can have my Bubs when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. Sorry Ima keeping them.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you! The scoot needs to fit the rider and meet the rider's need unless it is only going to be a garage ornament. Enjoy your "new to you" scoot and get out and ride the wheels off of it.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

You gotta do what you gotta do. If riding the bike is a miserable experience, get rid of it. It's only a bike so good luck. Somebody is going to get a CLEAN '09 EGC!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing but money it comes and goes....enjoy your new ride...

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default back in time

Monstermile,

Sounds like you are a candidate for a trike, lol. Seriously, you oughta rent one for a weekend and try it. You wouldn't even have to worry about putting your feet down. My buddy has a bad knee, and everytime he stops and the bike leans to that side of his body, he drops it. Sounds like you are in a similar situation.

Regards,

Old 09-05-2009, 07:14 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just do what ever you need to feel comfortable riding.......Good Luck and be safe....

Old 09-05-2009, 07:17 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you're able to still enjoy riding....No Worries!!

Enjoy the new ride

1HarleyGuy1

Quick Reply: I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time