Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:27 AM
LTBiker
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

MM, sounds like you spent a lot of time thinking thru the decision, so hope it works out well for you. Is the '08 a leftover new one? I wouldn't have thought there would be any '08's still around?
Good luck on finding the right windshield for the RG; I'm on #6 myself; and, that seems to be the biggest issue for RGers. Can't say I have become a true Sharknose fan, so if any of you Batwingers are wishing you would have gone the Sharknose route, maybe we should talk!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
Could someone please explain the difference in the seating position with the new frame? I thought the new model was nothing but better. Now I'm a little concerned. I had planed on trading to a 2010 soon. I haven't ridden one yet. Is the front of the seat wider or what exactly?

Thanks,

Dave
The seat isn't wider. It is the frame at the basket area that is wider. It causes your legs to be outspread alot more. To put it into perspective on an 08 with the standard height shocks I can flat foot easily with sandals on. On the 09 with my tallest riding boots my feet are barley touching on level surface. The only way I can flat foot it comfortably is to completely remove the seat and sit on the frame.

LT: Yup it is a brand new leftover. I spent the last few days researching threads on here for windshields. Also called a Cee Bailey's, Windvest and Clearview. I was at a loss until I talked to John at Clearview. I think they have what will end up being the perfect shield for me. It is a new shield they are making and isn't even up on their site. It is basically a 13" version of the sport. Puts it about 3-4" lower than the stock shield which when measuring I had thought would be the perfect size for me. I'm hoping it works out.

sbrn33: Love to have an EVO. A Softail Custom EVO to be exact. Gonna pick up one as a second bike somewhere in the future.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when do you pick it up?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tyroneshoelaces
So when do you pick it up?
Waiting for the saddlebag to get back from paint. Gotta sign off on it before I seal the deal.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

suprised they just buy one from the factory.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

suprised they just buy one from the factory.

Apparently you have never ordered painted items. Can take anywhere from 2-12 weeks depending on the color. With the fact that this is an out of production color it would probably lean to the longer length of time. The guy that is doing the bag is really good. I have no worries it will turn out fine. But in the event that it doesn't I have not put pen to paper yet. They will have the option to either get a new bag or I will not do the deal.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

I have bought painted items and actually my color is out of production...and I know the time frame. My point is that if I was the dealer and had a bike lingering in my showroom for 2 models years and the saddlebag was the hinge point if I sold it. I would merely write in the contract a factory bag would be ordered and not waste my time with a painter etc. Thats why I was suprised.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

I have bought painted items and actually my color is out of production...and I know the time frame. My point is that if I was the dealer and had a bike lingering in my showroom for 2 models years and the saddlebag was the hinge point if I sold it. I would merely write in the contract a factory bag would be ordered and not waste my time with a painter etc. Thats why I was suprised.

Yeah valid point. Don't know what the exact reasoning was behind them getting it painted over getting a new one. Maybe they don't like the idea of delivering a brand new bike to a regular customer with a scratched up bag. After all I would be riding around with it like that until the new one came in. Which I am sure would have bugged me as well.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

So what was the outcome on this scenario? Did you do the deal or decide to go back in time?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 AM
jmic86
Intermediate

I know the feeling, I'm getting rid of my 09 street glide for a new road glide custom. Had an o5 RG and the SG just doesn't handle like the roadie!! Taking a big financial hit here too, but you live once...enjoy it!!

Quick Reply: I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time