Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:58 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

MM hope 08 RG works out better for ya bro. Don't blame ya for holding on to the Bub's !

Old 09-05-2009, 11:24 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes sense to me. I have an 08 RKC and have ridden an 09 RKC. The 08 is a much smoother ride and with a progressive chassis link handles as good an anyone needs a bike like this to handle. The 09 is definitely a step up in overall tightness and probably does handle better at really high speeds......but I don't ride my RKC like a sportbike (I have a sportbike for high speed work) and want a cadillac plush ride.

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Debated long and hard about even saying anything about this. But being a long-time active member I am sure it would come out eventually.

I'm sure there are some that will scoff at this decision and a select will cheer. So here it is. After several failed attempts at making it work for me and lots of money lost I am getting rid of my 09 EG Classic in favor of a 2008. A 2008 Copper Top Road Glide to be more specific. I have tried numerous seats with no good results. I have even tried lowered suspension. Got me a little lower but sacrificed ride quality. I have come to the conclusion that my body just will not work on the current 09 frame in the aspect that I want it for. Short inseam, large thighs and a bad knee has me struggling to get my feet on the ground. And in the process of trying to do that it is causing major hip cramping and lower back pain as of late. Kinda takes the fun out of riding. Yeah I could go even lower on the suspension, but my wife and I ride too much and too many miles to be sitting on the ground. I bought the EG Classic coming off a Street Glide because I wanted the taller suspension. If I wanted lower suspension I would have stayed with or bought an 09 Street Glide. It is sad to say that in the process of making a better frame HD alienated some of it's riders. If they can find some way to narrow the frame back to the way it used to be while still keeping all the current characteristics they would be hitting a home run.

So why an 08?? Well I have owned several previous years touring bikes and have no problem getting my feet planted on the ground. So why a Road Glide some of you may ask. I owned an 07 Road Glide so I know how they ride an handle. When first test riding the 09 frame I equated it to handling as good as the 08 and earlier Road Glides. So in my eyes I am not giving up good handling. In fact about the only thing I am giving up is the wider rear tire. My attitude towards some things has changed since then as well. At that time I had the other RG I hated the idea of lowers. Well after riding with them for a while I love them. So I would have no problem adding them the RG to lessen the buffeting.

And for those of you who may be worried about the financial hit (there always are those guys) trust me when I say that I am getting an incredibly sweet deal. Wouldn't be an option if I wasn't. Being a repeat customer and their motivation to move a leftover 08 has it's perks. To the tune of around $5500 off original MSRP.

This decision did not come easy or quickly. My wife and I have been mulling it over for about a month and a half now while in the process of trying other options. We both love the EG Classic. But we have come to accept the fact that it isn't working and not making for a safe and comfortable ride for us. This decision is the best one for us.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:20 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I don't know about your color choice though, the copper top has to be one of the ugliest colors I have ever seen. I wouldn't be caught on one of those.
Seriously right, those on copper tops are just not right.....

Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyroneshoelaces
So have you closed the deal? When do you pick it up?
Gonna be a bit. Last week before I made my decision some chick took it out for a test ride. Someone had taken the pins out of one of the saddlebags and forgot to put them back in. Who knows. Well it stayed up long enough for her to get out on the road. Bag fell off and hit the payment and scratched the hell out of it. They are having it repainted. Nothing signed unless the bag meets my approval.

acchd: Yea the Bubs are keepers for sure. And it wouldn't be quite right getting rid of the Bubs after my review convinced so many people to buy them.

TFB: No worries. I'm used to it.

Mike: Gonna pick your brain at a later date on windshields. I've read so many threads on them that my head hurts.

Dawg: Yeah they are some ugly suckers. And this will be the ugliest of the ugly. I wonder where soso is. This thread is not complete w/o a comment from the peanut gallery.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I understand totally. Comfort is extremely important. Especially for the longer rides!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever makes you happy! Life is short and it's your money. Best of luck with the new ride!!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:09 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more I think about it, the more difficult it is to part with mine
As long as your happy - go for it

Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

As long as you stick with a HARLEY we will always love you!!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a Deluxe and put a TP on it.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:28 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life's too short...glad yer happy with the new ride. Have fun be safe!

Quick Reply: I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time