Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confusing to me also, when you had the RG you had a laundry list of dislikes thats why you went back to a SG. I must say Willie G. loves you.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:00 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Monstermile,

Sounds like you are a candidate for a trike, lol. Seriously, you oughta rent one for a weekend and try it. You wouldn't even have to worry about putting your feet down. My buddy has a bad knee, and everytime he stops and the bike leans to that side of his body, he drops it. Sounds like you are in a similar situation.

Regards,
Not to hijack this thread too much, but did your buddy ever look into total knee replacement? I did it this past winter and it is better than an 09 Ultra upgrade to me! I wish I had of done it years earlier. No more pain, lot's of strong knee. I'll be skiing in the off season.

...just saying..

Old 09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

It ain't about the bike or the destination,..... It's about the RIDE!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Not to hijack this thread too much, but did your buddy ever look into total knee replacement? I did it this past winter and it is better than an 09 Ultra upgrade to me! I wish I had of done it years earlier. No more pain, lot's of strong knee. I'll be skiing in the off season.

...just saying..
not to hijack your hijack but i have two knee replacements.2yrs ago and about 8 wks ago
didn't make me any taller but i still ride my 09 street glide even though it's probably a little to big for me . but the new knees seem to hold up just fine .ride safe

Old 09-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyroneshoelaces
Confusing to me also, when you had the RG you had a laundry list of dislikes thats why you went back to a SG. I must say Willie G. loves you.

Can't disagree with ya there. At the time I wasn't willing to do some of the things to get rid of buffeting and make winter riding more comfortable. Like I said in my op my attitude has changed since then. Mainly about lowers which apparently cure alot of the buffeting. The RG was a great handling bike as is the whole 09 touring line. I am going backwards but I do not want to give up the great handling that I am used to.

ezriderpgh: The frame is actually wider at the area under the seat. If you are taller you may not notice it. My feet are firmly planted on the ground on the previous frame even in sneakers. On the 09 my feet barely touch flat ground in my tallest boots. It is my particular body structure. Not evenyone has this problem. I am one that does. It could be cured with real low suspension and a paper thin seat. But no point in owning a touring rig if I gotta do that.

Clint: I've seen rodeo's set-up as well as a few others. Dunno if I would go full on Ultra style, but a tour pak will be there in the future. Hadn't put much thought into another RG. Thought about giving it another shot when I first decided to jump to an 09 but passed. Never disliked them at all and have always thought it was the best handling touring bike out there. This one just happened to be at the right place at the right time for my particular situation. Win, win situation. Oh and enjoy those Bubs. Glad my review helped in your decision.

Last edited by Garemlin; 09-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pled55
not to hijack your hijack but i have two knee replacements.2yrs ago and about 8 wks ago
didn't make me any taller but i still ride my 09 street glide even though it's probably a little to big for me . but the new knees seem to hold up just fine .ride safe
Not to hyjack the hyjack of the hyjack but that's a great idea. Knee replacements that offer a 2 inch overall height benefit. I figure you could get the stock knee mechanism and Soos could make the extentions..

Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Tyroneshoelaces
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Can't disagree with ya there. At the time I wasn't willing to do some of the things to get rid of buffeting and make winter riding more comfortable. Like I said in my op my attitude has changed since then. Mainly about lowers which apparently cure alot of the buffeting. The RG was a great handling bike as is the whole 09 touring line. I am going backwards but I do not want to give up the great handling that I am used to.

ezriderpgh: The frame is actually wider at the area under the seat. If you are taller you may not notice it. My feet are firmly planted on the ground on the previous frame even in sneakers. On the 09 my feet barely touch flat ground in my tallest boots. It is my particular body structure. Not evenyone has this problem. I am one that does. It could be cured with real low suspension and a paper thin seat. But no point in owning a touring rig if I gotta do that.

Clint: I've seen rodeo's set-up as well as a few others. Dunno if I would go full on Ultra style, but a tour pak will be there in the future. Hadn't put much thought into another RG. Thought about giving it another shot when I first decided to jump to an 09 but passed. Never disliked them at all and have always thought it was the best handling touring bike out there. This one just happened to be at the right place at the right time for my particular situation. Win, win situation. Oh and enjoy those Bubs. Glad my review helped in your decision.

So have you closed the deal? When do you pick it up?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Steve,
Welcome BACK to the best kept secret in the HD Touring lineup...It's all about the ride, I applaud your posting this, I know it was a tough decision! Tour pak, Hogg Chopp lowers, Decent windshield and you're set for hours of trouble free and enjoyable riding!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

As they say "A man's got to do, what a man's got to do".

Ride happy, Shorty!!!!!" Sorry I just had to throw that in.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

All that matters is that YOU enjoy your ride. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Quick Reply: I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time