Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:18 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

Makes perfect sense to me. I love my 08 Road Glide. I've rode the 09 & 10 model. Thet are nice bikes but not enough diffrence to make me trade. I'm like you vertically challenged, bad left knee and hip. I dont need any more weight to hold up at a light. I flat foot mine fine. I'll keep mine for a few years longer. Ride safe and enjoy the Roadie.
Long live the shark nose.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

life is to short to waste even one minute in an uncomfortable situation
best wishes to You and the Mrs on your new ride

Old 09-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
You gotta do what you gotta do. If riding the bike is a miserable experience, get rid of it. It's only a bike so good luck. Somebody is going to get a CLEAN '09 EGC!

Wow!!! I am impressed. You resisted.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it is miserable. But it is uncomfortable. I'm fine cruising down the road. If I could find a way to not have to stop I would be ok. I'm worried that if it keeps getting more uncomfortable the desire to ride might fade. And we ride too much for that. Typically 8-10k a year. That is with both of us working full time jobs (mine 10-12 hours a day and sometimes on 12 day stretches) and having kids as well.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Iamopie2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 RKC and my dad has an 09 RKC, and honestly i am with you. With the stabilizer on it, it handles as well as i want it to and i like the ride on mine a lot better. It might not handle as tightly as an 09 but for me and what i want in my bike, i like my 08 better.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Monstermile,

Sounds like you are a candidate for a trike, lol. Seriously, you oughta rent one for a weekend and try it. You wouldn't even have to worry about putting your feet down. My buddy has a bad knee, and everytime he stops and the bike leans to that side of his body, he drops it. Sounds like you are in a similar situation.

Regards,

LOL. Naa I don't think I am ready for a trike yet. Never dropped any of my touring bikes. Came close once a few months ago on a sloped road and a one leg stop and my knee gave out. Got no problems with the 08 and earlier bikes. Owned a few of them. Both feet firmly on the ground even with standard height suspension.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I don't know about your color choice though, the copper top has to be one of the ugliest colors I have ever seen. I wouldn't be caught on one of those.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 08s ride is definitely more confortable than the 09s. The suspension tune is much stiffer on the 09 to match the new frame.

As a result the high speed handling is absolutely night and day, but if you dont ride hard then a 08 or earlier is a better choice i think.

I agree with your statement about alienating some riders. There are lots of tourer riders who want a big soft lounge and have found the 09 too hard.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If the RG doesn't work out, I have an 08 UC, low mileage........

Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
You can have my Bubs when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. Sorry Ima keeping them.
Yeah that's what I figured but hey, can't blame a brother for trying!!

As for the decision to buy the 08, I think it's a great way to solve the vertical challenges you were having with the 09. Plus it sounds like you've been wanting an RG and so this idea kills both birds and for a scream'n price. Also, you'll have one of the lowest mile 08's on the road.

There's another guy on here, 'Rodeo" that's added lowers, tourpack, etc,etc, and basically turned his RG into an "Ultra RG". You might want to to take a look at his set-up for some cool ideas.

Anyway, good luck with the new bike MM and get us pics ASAP.

PS. I'm ordering the new Bub 7's tonight. Big part of my decision was your review.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit confused about this. I was told the only difference in the frame is weight and wider swingarm. When I sit on an '09 my legs are no farther apart than on my '08.

Quick Reply: I'm doing the unthinkable....Going back in time