Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stretched Hard Bags

ORIGINAL: deford

I'm also looking into stretched bags. Klock Werks only does fiberglass bags...won't work with the ABS bags on my Street Glide they said. They also charge $550 to glass 'em. I think I'm going to go with Milwaukee Baggers and use my own covers. I contacted them and they said my covers and hardware will work. I might put some Chrome Steel Plate on the bottom...any thoughts?
I have the Ness Big Bags on my 05 Road King Custom.I have had them for almost 3 years now. I was constantly dragging and scratching them. Bart at Cateye Customs made a set of stainless steel skid plates for the bottoms. No scratched paint yet; they have been on since March of this year. I added some rubber strips with adhesive which show some wear. When they get close to the steel I will replace them. I have had to repaint these bags twice and I don't want to have to do it again.

I will put a pitch in for the deep bags rather than the extensions. The extra space comes in handy. The extra space doesn't look like much but it comes in handy for large objects that would not otherwise fit in the bags and is a good place to carry tools and spare parts for long trips. I have the liners for the standard size bags that slip in. I store the tools and parts under it and have all the room of the stock bags inside the liner. I would guess that by the time you do all the body work to attach the extensions you are getting close to the cost of getting the deep bags.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rastus, my bags, and all of HDs newer stuff for that matter, are ABS. So we used a special 2 part epoxy to glue them together.

B

Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: deford

I'm also looking into stretched bags. Klock Werks only does fiberglass bags...won't work with the ABS bags on my Street Glide they said. They also charge $550 to glass 'em. I think I'm going to go with Milwaukee Baggers and use my own covers. I contacted them and they said my covers and hardware will work. I might put some Chrome Steel Plate on the bottom...any thoughts?
Good idea,they scrape like **** when you turn hard!!!I just had to get one of my buddies fixed!!!!clumsy me!!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Bad Dad
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rastus

I know this is an old thread and hate to dig it up. I'm interested in installing the fiberglass extensions on my ABS bags. I was just curious as to how they hold up especially at the seams. My first concern would be the different expansion and contraction characteristics of the two different materials. Does any one have these extensions installed for a period of time that can report their findings good, bad or indifferent ?
Your concern about the different expansion and contraction rates is exactly right. Not only will the ABS bag and fiberglass extension expand differently, but the bonding material holding everything together will respond differently as well. This is true for both the ABS and original fiberglass bags.

While your concern is well justified, the longevity of the bag, extension, and material should not be a problem if the process is done correctly.Whencompletedproperly(like theprocess recommended by lickmstickmman), we have not seen nor do we anticipate any longterm issues.

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Do you think it would be possible to add a diamond plate bottom to the bags, cut to fit? Seems like if you were to attach it with some sort of epoxy, it would hold fine, and if you did happen to scrape them, you could just replace the plate, and not need a repaint.
If your riding style is somewhat aggressive, that is actually a very good idea. Aluminum is simple to work with too and is what we have made plates from in the past.

ORIGINAL: Fast Eddie

I will put a pitch in for the deep bags rather than the extensions. The extra space comes in handy. The extra space doesn't look like much but it comes in handy...
+1

ORIGINAL: Fast Eddie

I would guess that by the time you do all the body work to attach the extensions you are getting close to the cost of getting the deep bags.
+1 again. By the time you purchase the extension and pay for the labor/materials to do the deal, the one-piece bag is generally the best way to go. Factor in the added utility of the extra storage space and the potential to eBay your factory bags, and all of a sudden the one-piece bag seems like an even better deal. Extending existing bags can be very cost effective though if you are doing the work yourself or know someone how can give you a nice deal on the labor rate.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

So how much cabbage roughly for a painted set of these extended bags?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Bad Dad
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Donnylee

So how much cabbage roughly for a painted set of these extended bags?
Sent you a PM.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 AM
onebluscooter
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derk your Website is awsome!! your stretched bags and fenders are the real deal.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 AM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly a bag question but related. When you put the overlay fender on what do you do to reinforce the fender in place of the grab bar?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I been going back and forth between Milwaukee Bagger bags (they are local) and Bad Bad bags. I am leaning towards the Bad Dad bags since I like the look better. My concern is having someone cut the holes right for the exhaust. When you see some of the pics in mags the cut in the fender and the bags don't line up. I may be too picky, but I think it's in the details.
I also been thinking about what I want to do with lights? Either in the bag or on the fender?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while baddad parts are the bomb there are steel fenders from fat baggers that are nice also. hope to do mine with a mix of the 2 co. thius winter