Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Bad Dad
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Stretched Hard Bags

I was wondering what happened to you. I'm glad to see that you got everything taken care of.

Lights look excellent, too. You have a really great looking bike.

BD

Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Rastus
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bad Dad

ORIGINAL: deford

Klock Werks only does fiberglass bags...won't work with the ABS bags on my Street Glide they said.
De,

I hate to butt in, but I've just been checking up on some old threads. The Bad Dad Kit will work with your ABS bags, it's all in the gel coat. I just did a set last week...

Here's a cool video for you to check out too if you haven't been to our site. Video

Shameless plug ends now...

Derk

I know this is an old thread and hate to dig it up. I'm interested in installing the fiberglass extensions on my ABS bags. I was just curious as to how they hold up especially at the seams. My first concern would be the different expansion and contraction characteristics of the two different materials. Does any one have these extensions installed for a period of time that can report their findings good, bad or indifferent ?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Question for BadDad and anyone who has these installed already.....

Can you drag your floorboards WITHOUT dragging the extended bags?

I had looked at the Ness units years ago, but was afraid of grinding the things off. I REALLY like the look, but I like to RIDE more than look. If I can have the look AND still be able to drag the boards, then I may be interested...

Thoughts / comments / feedback ~ from experience...???....
Hey Phil, I am not even sure if you were still thinking about doing this to your 'super' glide, But, I was thinking about the draggin' issue. Do you think it would be possible to add a diamond plate bottom to the bags, cut to fit? Seems like if you were to attach it with some sort of epoxy, it would hold fine, and if you did happen to scrape them, you could just replace the plate, and not need a repaint. Seems like it would be easy to do, and would be cheaper to fabricate a couple of plates, and replace them for less than it would be for paint and possible body work. just a thought.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, mine has stock shocks and has been lowered 1" or so in the back. the bag extensions were from Arlen Ness, they were crap and needed major work just to make them look the same. They werepitted, deep holes. They were molded on and they look great. The fender kit came from Milwakee Baggers and I got it because the bottom was straight accross. Only reason. My bag is exactly 5 and 3/4 inches off the ground and the do drag, both sides. You can't lean like a racer. I know I need an air ride system, but I need a couple of bucks yet. and Papa I have also thought about the diamond plate to protect the extension bottom, good idea.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
SoCalFXSTI
Tourer

I have been checking out BadDads site for awhile. A friend recently bought a bunch of stuff from Bad Dad. I checked it out. It is first rate, nice thick sturdy fiberglass. My friend said he spoke to Bad Dad on the phone as well, and said he was a good guy to deal with. A bunch of us are now sportin' BadDad stickers on our wrench boxes. I am planning to get the stretched bags soon. Most of the guys in the crew have the stretched bags from various vendors. Arlen Ness are thin and crappy. Bagger Bill has more options but are expensive, Milwaukee and Fat Baggers are about the same. Again, based on the parts that I saw my friend get from BadDad I think his are top of the line. [/align][/align]

Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rastus, I have had my Ness extensions on for about 2.5 years. They have held up excellent. We used a special autobody 2 part epoxy to hold them in place and filled over top of that. No cracks and I havent dragged them going around corners, but I may not lean it as much as others. I am putting some miles on it, but as much as some... about 4k this year alone.

Benji
ORIGINAL: Rastus

ORIGINAL: Bad Dad

ORIGINAL: deford

Klock Werks only does fiberglass bags...won't work with the ABS bags on my Street Glide they said.
De,

I hate to butt in, but I've just been checking up on some old threads. The Bad Dad Kit will work with your ABS bags, it's all in the gel coat. I just did a set last week...

Here's a cool video for you to check out too if you haven't been to our site. Video

Shameless plug ends now...

Derk

I know this is an old thread and hate to dig it up. I'm interested in installing the fiberglass extensions on my ABS bags. I was just curious as to how they hold up especially at the seams. My first concern would be the different expansion and contraction characteristics of the two different materials. Does any one have these extensions installed for a period of time that can report their findings good, bad or indifferent ?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Rastus
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: lickmstickmman

Rastus, I have had my Ness extensions on for about 2.5 years. They have held up excellent. We used a special autobody 2 part epoxy to hold them in place and filled over top of that. No cracks and I havent dragged them going around corners, but I may not lean it as much as others. I am putting some miles on it, but as much as some... about 4k this year alone.

Benji
[quote]

. Thanks for the reply.Are your bags ABS or Fiberglass ?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

socal:

that softtail of urs is sick looking (in a good way) Schweet !
Nice work ! nick

Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Im a senior . where' s the Geritol ?

Well club members today I am a senior rider.. Where do I collect my benefits?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 PM
SoCalFXSTI
Tourer

Thanks for the look!

Quick Reply: Stretched Hard Bags