Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretched Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Stretched Hard Bags

ya know...i was gonna post how much i didnt like em....but those two look FINE

Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad Dad has some awesome bag extensions, and he is right, you can mold fiberglass into the ABS plastic. It's all in prep. The buddy that molded mine for me used some kind of 2 part epoxy glue to secure the 2 together, then moved on like it was anything else that needed body work. I love the look of the extensions! I was just trying to be different on the fender, so I did a complete tail dragger instead. Most of the fenders used are simply installed on top of your stock fender (trimmed down).

Take a look. I also liked the look of "cat-eye" lights, but again, I HAD TO BE DIFFERENT! I actually used Nissan Maxima bumper lights. We made a mold from fiberglass and to make the bulbs work my run-turn-brake lights. I epoxied some LEDs in the lenses.

Benji

[IMG]local://upfiles/15669/723F5FB71A8842A2BE5AF64A20D4DC7C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question for BadDad and anyone who has these installed already.....

Can you drag your floorboards WITHOUT dragging the extended bags?

I had looked at the Ness units years ago, but was afraid of grinding the things off. I REALLY like the look, but I like to RIDE more than look. If I can have the look AND still be able to drag the boards, then I may be interested...

Thoughts / comments / feedback ~ from experience...???....

Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer

Phil, I fear scraping every corner I go around... I don't, but I still fear it. My kickstand has smacked the ground before, but not my bags. I just recently repainted mine and did notice some rash on the bottoms. So I have scraped before, just didnt know it. I think Bad Dad has commented on the clearance before somewhere, he will most likely be the expert.

Benji

Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Bad Dad
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bryan, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like the bikes!

Benji, thank you also.

Benji is certainly correct about the install of the extensions. The epoxy we use in the shop is a 3M product called Automix Semi-Rigid Parts Repair. It is a good adhesive for several different kinds of materials, and best of all it sets up in less than a minute.. The 3M part number for that epoxy is 8235.

I don't know how serious anyone here is about extending their bags or adding a wide fender, but for those that are curious, installation instructions for both parts can be found on our web site at www.baddad.com under the "Tips" section. The specific links for both installs are here: Saddlebag Extensions and Wide Fender.

Both installs rank around a medium as far as difficulty goes and can certainly be done by any bodyman or most guys in their garage. Several of our customers actually install their own extensions and then send them back to us for paint.

Phil, Benji is also on target about the scraping- it is not likely. The bottom of your factory bag should sit with about 13" of ground clearance. The saddlebag extensions stand about 4.5" tall. Because the factory bags taper a little, you should still have anywhere from 8.5"-9" of ground clearance.

That black Road King that I posted the picture and video of has also been lowered an inch, and has never had any scraping issues since the install two winters ago. The bike actually just came back from Sturgis today and the first motorcycle related words out of my mouth were, "Did they scrape?"

He had no issues the entire week he was out there.

Benji, your bike looks really clean and I saw it on the forum the otherday for the first time. I really like the lights in your bags. Obviously you already said the lights do everything- run/brake/signal, but I'm curious as to how everything is wired and layed out behind the lens. All of the LEDs we work with are dual intensity, so that only accounts for two of the lighting functions. I'd like to see it all lit up if you happen to have a picture handy.

Derk

Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 AM
jfanton
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad dad, what pipes are you runnin' on the red one?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:53 PM
lickmstickmman
Tourer

Derk, what a coincidence you asked about how the lights hook up... because I am having issues with it as we speak.

I purchased Kuryakyn's RUN-TURN-BRAKE module about 3 years ago when I started this project. I ran it fine for a few years with a small set of LEDs inserted into the back of the Maxima lenses. They were weak and made dimmer by the facets in the lenses. But all the functions worked. Both lights were always on, then blinked for turn and brightened for brake. Last year I went to a better set of LEDs (2 wire) that I got from a vendor in Myrtle Beach (10 large LEDs in one gel pack). I epoxied these lights in and everything worked the same, except it lit up better and brighter day or night.

Last week I rode with a buddy who said my brake light wasnt working. I pulled the Kuryakyn and cleaned the terminals and all was better. This week the brakes are staying on, which means I have no running lights, or brake lights for that matter. I think the Kuryakyn has taken a crap on me, but not sure if it is because of the low load of the LEDs or what. I tried buying the Harley run-brake-turn kit to see if i could replace the Kuryakyn, it isnt working the same way, so it looks like I need to buy another Kuryakyn or change the wiring diagram to use the HD setup.

Wired like this now: Kuryakyn fits the stock rear fender harness... then I tied the violet and brown to left and right light, and made a splice for the black wire to both sides. The kuryakyn harness did the rest.

SO to make a short story long... The kuryakyn setup works great, but it only lasted a few years before issues... so we"ll see how it goes with a new one.

Benji

P.S. I will take a late day/night shot of the signals tonight.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Bad Dad
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

J,

The Red Shovelhead is not currently complete, and therefore is not running any exhaust right now. The red bike is just a shop bike and comes second to customer bikes and does not get too much attention right now. The majority of the cosmetics are complete, but the engine is obviously not finished, nor is the wiring, brakes, and a few other things. However, the bike will most likely run a 2-into-1 setup and the exhaust will exit out the right side only. Our current targeted finish date is for Daytona next spring, so we'll see how it goes!

Name:  DSCF0031.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  DSCF0030.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  64.7 KB

Benji,

The black Road King I posted the picture and video of had a recent wiring issue where the right turn signal ran very, very dim. Of course we suspected our own wiring to be the culprit because of the intense amount of wiring involved in the LED run/brake/signals, the electric bag opening motors, and the remote for running both the bag lights and bag motors, but it actually turned out that the Harley kit we installed had taken a dump and gone bad after all these years! The HD unit, like yours, also had more than two years of use on it. Once replaced, everything worked like a champ.

I'm sure that after you removed the Kuryakyn piece for cleaning that you returned all the wiring back to the way it had been, so you should be on the right track by just replacing the unit. Let us know how it goes.

I now think I understand how you have your lights setup. The low intensity setting is used for running lights, and then the same low intensity flashes when signaling to turn. Then the high intensity light "steps up" and brightens for braking, correct? Please do post the pictures of the lights when you can.

Derk

Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

DAMMIT!!! What's wrong with you people?

Now I have one more thing to drool and obcess over for the next 'addition' to my bike!

Those bikes look sharp (and that's putting it mildly!)

Old 09-07-2006, 01:36 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer

Bad Dad, I finally got a pic of the brakes on and running for you. Man is it hard to take a pic without the flash! I am camera illiterate! Anyhow, I ended up finding out the problem with the Kuryakin Run/Brake/turn setup... I needed to unhook the battery to reset the Harley system... all worked fine after that. Friends riding with me say that brake is not to noticable from running. I will probably add a thin strip light to the bottom of the fender and make it some kind of creative brake light.

Benji

Oh, and the pic is in my photo album!

Quick Reply: Stretched Hard Bags