Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says I can'tput slipon mufflers on my 08

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM
drjggood1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat. I want to do Vance and Hines slips ons w/out the stage 1 and download but don't want to jeopardize making the bike run extra lean or hot. I could see why a dealer would say no due to monetary gain, but why would some on the board here say that this will harm the bike. Is it not black and white?

Thanks for the response. Enjoy the ride.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Hammer107
Road Master

It IS black and white, you just have a bunch of people who don't know what they are talking about posting incorrect information.

An 09 can positively have slip-ons installed with no fuel mod. In fact on an 09 you can positively add slipons AND an AC and STILL not need a fuel mod.

This is fact.

The older bikes needed a fuel mod almost stock, so adding anything to them only enhances the problem. That is not the case for the 09 although the fuel mod DOES make it run cooler.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

If only mufflers are changing, you don't "need" anything else. It would be a good idea however to do the A/C and some sort of fuel management upgrade.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm calling BS on this.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the problem with just putting Slip ons on. Sounds like your dealer is trying to make a sale.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
PWFD
Road Master

I buy Harley's every year. (Usually two a year) I have ALWAYS put slip-on exhaust on them with no other mods. I have never found an issue with any Harley I have purchased and done this too. Granted I dont keep them long enough to know Those days are over now with the economy. Glad I really like the one I have now!! And yes, it has slip-on exhaust and runs and sounds great!.

Slip them on, ride and enjoy!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
.................. I rode 1200 miles with the muffler strapped on to the passenger seat i.e. no right side muffler at all...............
Dam man, that must have been loud for 1,200 miles. LOL

Originally Posted by Clint55
Yup. And not even giv'n you the common courtesy of a reach-around. That just ain't right!
No truer words have been spoken in this thread. LOL

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I wish people would take 30 seconds to put their location in their profile so we could at least make a guess at which dealer is so clueless.

It's easy, it really is, and helpful when folks say things like "around here".
Yeah I agree, I read a post then think "where is this?" and I look up and nothing.

Originally Posted by Sharknose
You can't blow more air out unless you pull more air in. If you're not modifying your intake, there's no change.
The change is "Looks" and "Sound". He already spent $800, why should he spend another $360 more, if he is happy with riding a Cruiser?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
The change is "Looks" and "Sound". He already spent $800, why should he spend another $360 more, if he is happy with riding a Cruiser?
I was referring to air/fuel mixture only, and I didn't suggest that he spend anything more.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
I was referring to air/fuel mixture only, and I didn't suggest that he spend anything more.
My point was if he's happy with what power he has and it isn't going to damage the motor with just putting on slip ons, then he’s good and happy.

Yes it will help the bike run cooler, get better gas mileage and have more power. But not much more, in any category. Some people have to have the best possible scenario and some are just as happy with where they are.

My two previous Harley's I did the Stage 1 download, after changing out the AC for a High Flow unit. This time I just changed mufflers. I was happy then and I’m happy now.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Your dealer is an *******

Quick Reply: Dealer says I can'tput slipon mufflers on my 08