Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What fluid can I use to flush the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:39 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What fluid can I use to flush the tranny?

I'm going to change my tranny fluid. Currently has Pepto Bismol (Redline Shock Proof Heavy), and I want to put Spectro 6-Speed tranny fluid. But I want to flush out the Pepto before putting in the Spectro. By "flush", I simply mean draining the Pepto out, filling back up with a cheap fluid, running it through the gears for a minute or two, and then dumping it out again.

My question is, what is the cheapest fluid that I can use to "flush" it with? Can I just pour in a quart of 50w motor oil? Just want to make sure that whatever I put in won't do any damage for that few minutes of flushing.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that the residual amount of Redline is more compatible with the Spectro than any other cheap oil you could run in there to flush.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 on HarleyWood's remarks. Any gear oil should be compatible with any other gear oil.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:25 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Hmmm...didn't think of it that way. Excellent point!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
rustynuts
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain the old fluid right after a ride (when the trans is warm) and you will minimize the amount left in there to mix with the new.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:13 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by rustynuts
Drain the old fluid right after a ride (when the trans is warm) and you will minimize the amount left in there to mix with the new.

I was thinking that... but I was also thinking that it may be best to drain it after it's been sitting all day/night because all the fluid is in the bottom of the pan already...

Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
I was thinking that... but I was also thinking that it may be best to drain it after it's been sitting all day/night because all the fluid is in the bottom of the pan already...
A flush isn't necessary, but if you would feel better about it use any inexpensive gear oil. Drain while the oil is still warm to get most of it out. There will still be pockets that don't drain (not all the oil drops to the bottom), so it would take a few flushes to get the majority of the old oil out. Mixin' the two oils will only stain the new with a little of the pink stuff. Of course then your new special oil will be mixed with the inexpensive stuff..........

Old 09-03-2009, 04:41 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

Just curious why are you changing?

I used it in my Dyna for years and it was great stuff. I had a leak in one of the tranny seals. It showed up as a leak on my jiffy stand. Because the leak had a slight pink color to it I knew it wasn't just primary oil.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:49 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
Just curious why are you changing?

I used it in my Dyna for years and it was great stuff. I had a leak in one of the tranny seals. It showed up as a leak on my jiffy stand. Because the leak had a slight pink color to it I knew it wasn't just primary oil.

It's time to change it, and I just want to try something different. Nothing wrong with the Redline SPH though... Seems that everyone on this forum highly regards it (thus why its in there now), but everyone at HDtalking.com seems to highly regard the Spectro stuff. Just thought I'd try it to see if I notice any difference. Highly doubt I will though.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say if you want to get it all out, just run it until it is warm, pull the plug ,then let it drain all night long. There is such a small difference in gear synthetic oils, it would be impossible to tell a difference from one or the other simply by running the bike.