Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D center stand install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-D center stand install

has anyone installed the chrome show stand from H-D on an 08 touring model. how hard was it to install and how do you like it

Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say what year your bike is.

I just put one on an 09 Ultra. It was a bit of a challange because there is not enough room to get your fingers between the plate where it mounts and the motor. After a few curse words I got it on. I really like it but if you have a smooth garage floor it woll slip so you have to put something on the floor. I put a flat cardboard on the floor and duct taped it down and it works great. On regular cement it works as it should.

I also added the passenger grab rail to have something to hold onto when putting it up. If you have an 09 do not buy the new grab rail for an 09. It doesn't fit right. It's so high that your passenges legs will ride on top of it. Get the older rail for previous models and it works perfect. I am not sure why they changed the grab rail for 09 because they really screwed it up.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Kenan
Novice

Would the center stand get in the way when you change the oil?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM
MWM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PTAG
I also added the passenger grab rail to have something to hold onto when putting it up.
Great idea!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

I have the center stand on my '09 Ultra and I like it.

I did not have any issues installing it. I did have to take it up and down a few times to adjust the feet to get the amount of lift I wanted. You may want to use a torque wrench on the three bolts holding it on.

I have it adjusted so the rear tire just clears the floor of my garage. I can spin the tire to get to the air valve or to clean it. I can also put a floor jack with a piece of wood under the front of the frame to lift the front wheel to do the same.

It swings up toward the rear and should not interfere with any servicing. In fact, it may make servicing easier because it levels the bike so you can check the primary oil level and gets you a little more clearance on the left side of the bike so you can get to things easier.

I put my left hand on the left handlebar grip and my right hand on the saddle bag guard to lift the bike.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
boom23
Tourer
Default I have one for sale...

Just a quick note... I have the Harley Chrome Center Stand for sale (91573-09, for '09 and later bikes), if anyone is interested... I installed but changed my mind and removed it. Send me a message if you want to make an offer... Otherwise, I'll post it in the For Sale area or eBay.

Thanks,
Theo.
'09 SG

Last edited by boom23; 10-27-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
mile high king
Tourer

I installed on recently on my 08 RKC. I really like it. Storing the bike in the garage takes less space and loading the saddlebags, cleaning, etc. is much easier. The HD stand is adjustable so you can have it either leave the rear wheel on the ground or raised. If however you want to be able to put the bike on or off the stand while on the bike, this isn't the stand...for that you should look at the wheeldock. The HD stand is a pain to install though. It uses the lower right swingarm bolt that is blocked by the stock exhaust pipe, necessitating the right side exhausts loosening including the headers. If you are going to install the HD center stand, might I recommend that you combine that procedure with the progressive suspension touring link....it's only about $179....and really firms up the chassis and you have to remove the same bolt to do that.

Originally Posted by ucommbxny
has anyone installed the chrome show stand from H-D on an 08 touring model. how hard was it to install and how do you like it

Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Rivco on my 07. Liked the look better than the others. Cant hardly notice it when up. Install was a snap

Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master

thanks for the responses, was on vacation, and just got back

Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have installed it on my 08. Took it off sold it and installed a Wheeldock center stand.
The HD unit is not user friendly. If you havnt bought it yet...

Quick Reply: H-D center stand install