Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is the warranty on Genuine Accesories?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What exactly is the warranty on Genuine Accesories?

Is it this?

"This product is warranted against all defects in material workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer the product is covered for one year. When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at the time of purchase of a new vehicle and registered to the vehicle, a 2-year warranty. This product is warranted through the manufacturer. Please see your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for warranty and service issues."

Or are there different terms for different accessories. The information above was taken from the instalation instructions for the Harley-Davidson road Tech HA90 MP3/WMA Digital Music Player.
I'm specitically interested in the warranty on the new Harmon Kardon stereo the dealer installed in my 06' Road Glide on June 29th? It was not a warranty replacement.The bank that had repoed the bike paid, a ridiculous amount of money I might add, to have a new stereo installed in the bike.
so what is the warranty on the new unit?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they are installed by the dealer on a new bike they are warranted for 2 years.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

That doesn't help me.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:54 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Knowing Harely it's probably 20 minutes or 20 feet!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Tinman265
Road Master

I would say 1 year if a dealer did the install. If not then 90 days.......

I would get the warranty paper from the product I wonder about and look at that for the answer. NOT from another similar product.

Or all else fails, have the dealer doing the install put the warranty in WRITING.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Interesting thing.
I got a copy of the instalation instructions for my bike's MP3 player.
It said,

"This product is warranted against all defects in material workmanship for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase. When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer the product is covered for one year. When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at the time of purchase of a new vehicle and registered to the vehicle, a 2-year warranty. This product is warranted through the manufacturer. Please see your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for warranty and service issues."

I started having problems with the new, dealer instaled on June 29th, Harmon Kardon stereo. It randomly shuts off. I can't pinpoint when it does it.
The dealer is 2 1/2 hours away.
I email the Service Manager. He tells me the warranty is 90 days. I say OK, but what products does the above warranty apply to.
Then I get some back paddling from him. He talked to HD, bla, bla , bla, they'll make it year since it's an intermitent problem.
F@#k I hate it when these guys blow smoke up my a$$.

Last edited by Wally; 09-03-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:56 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that's probably a question your dealer would be qualified to answer.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Can you read?
clearly, if you read my last post, you will see that the dealer either didn't know what the warranty was on stereos, or wasn't willing to honor it until he had been sent it in black and white!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Tinman265
Road Master

Did the previous owner rip out the stereo to sell or was it broke?

Do you have the receipt for the radio install?

Since I do not know how to get at the wiring on a road glide this may not help........

If the previous owner ripped out the stereo there could be a number of problems depending if they also cut out the wiring harness to sell the radio. More than likey I would say that's where the problem is otherwise I would lean heavily to a bad radio.

I would get to all the wiring.... Do a complete inspection and photograph the whole thing start to finish. There could be some butchery the service manager has no clue about. Or it could be as simple as a wire worn through or a ground not conected.

Unfortunately it takes 10 hours in your case to have the installing dealer to look at it. Is there a dealer closer to your house? Warranty work is warranty work.

I don't know the dealer so but I would give them 1 chance to look at it and make it right.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

The original stereo was defective. No one ripped it out. The bank that had the bike for auction, paid to have a new one installed.
I don't need a reciept, the dealer computor (any dealer computor) has the information with respect to the date and product #, if you just punch in the bike's serial #.
There are no other dealers closer.
The problem, with respect to the length of warranty has been cleared up. I have until next June to get it in. Hopefully it will begin to act up on a more consistent basis.

Quick Reply: What exactly is the warranty on Genuine Accesories?