Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting to understand

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default starting to understand

FI bikes are kinda new to me. I have had and have a few but when doing a fuel manger is something new to me. I have set up a few and with success but so much different than a carb bike.

I installed a fuel pak on my 07 ultra a couple of years ago. Pretty straight forward and easy. The maps are on the web site so adding or changing them was also easy. But to the life of i could not understand the basic principles of them. I did understand the 3 basics of 1 but that was it.
Well I changed cams and they had no map for the change. after 6 months I decided to go to the PCV but dreaded installing it due to some horror stories I have read.
I purchased the PCV abd auto tune from fuelmoto.
I installed the PCV today, took almost 40 min.. to do. I was surprised is how simple it was and the biggest grin of all is the difference in smoothness, better performance, throttle response, and of course the increased mpg.
I am gong to tackle the auto tune friday. i looked at things very carefully and read all I could about the install. Thanks to iclick, his post on installing will come in handy.
The only real problem I see is I am sure I will have to remove the right side exhaust to get the o2 sensor out (front cylinder). That will be no big deal, probably take 15-20 min. at most. Other than that I think it will nothing but time consuming.
HD forums has really been a big help on a lot of little things. I have been wrenching for some time now, more than most here are old. Carbs were easy to do once you understand them.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear, keep us posted on the progress.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Started on the at this evening. The front cylinder was fairly easy. I took a 7/8 inch box end wrench and cut a slot in it so I could remove the o2's.
Now the 3 hours of work. If you have V&H true duals it is best just to remove the rear pipes and be done with it. Due to the angle of the bun hole and the length of the new 02 you can not get it straight no matter what you do.
I did discover I had a broke mount there so i fixed it. I have been trying to find the rattle I had.

I will say this if you are considering going this route try the pcv first and see if it does the job first. If I had know the bike would run this good and do what it is doing I would not have got the at.

Let you know tomorrow at the results.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
MWM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbs are easy to get to and work on, but they sure don't want to start all the time. Fuel injection bikes have spoiled me!!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

When I get a carb bike right it cranks fairly well.

I finished the at this am, took a short ride. Power is better than with the fuelpak. I will give it a good ride tomorrow to check mpg and over all performance.
I will compare the 2.
I will ride with the at and then do it again with out the at to compare. I will fill from the same pump and take the same route. This should give me the information I am wanting.
I am a mpg and torque person, not a hp or performance guy.

In God we Trust

dd
I am going to say this again, try the pcv first to see if it does what you want it to before adding the at.
Once I got he 02's finished the rest was easy and only took about 45 min. to finish.