Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going From Batwing to Sharknose Fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:35 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going From Batwing to Sharknose Fairing?

I have been thinking about switching out my Batwing fairing for the Road Glide Sharknose. Bike is a Black Cherry 06' Street Glide. Now I know all the opinions about which fairing is better, but I do feel that my older Road Glide handled better than the Batwing fairing on the Street Glide. Anyway, does anyone know if you can order the Road Glide fairing primed ready for paint? Trying to see how involved of a job this would be switching out the fairings. Any info on parts/price and pain in the *** factor this job would create?? I do my own work, so labor cost is not an issue. Thanks...........

Old 06-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Going From Batwing to Sharknose Fairing?

Someone recently did a conversion on here.

Search doesn't seem to be working so well the last few days, and I can't find any trace of the thread.

Someone will know who it was, and maybe even find it.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM
MAscrew
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_335883/tm.htm
This is where you will find the full conversion.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:43 PM
jdag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting idea. I love my SG, and am set (for now). But the Road Glides are increasingly attractive to me, and based on opinions on this board, a fantastic ride. Need to go rent one soon.

Anyhow, I would suggest maybe calling around to dealers and cycle repair shops. Since you'd need to fit and repaint anyhow, you may be able to find one from a wrecked Road Glide more economically than buying new.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

shark nose growin on me too..........just cant make up my mind!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Doug and I have talked at length about this. He has competed his "switch" I have bought all the part and will be doing mine in July.... If you use all the same guages and you are somewhat good at mech work, it is not a hard job... you will need a parts book and a service manual. It will take some "study" I am as doug willing to talk to you and offer help.. If wanted, pm me and I will give you my home number... Do Not plan on buying parts from your local HD unless they will really work for you... there are at least to online HD people that offer 20% off / no sales tax and sometimes no shipping... No local HD shop can compete

Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

If you have not figured it out yet - it is more that just switching out fairings,,, Doug did not use any of the switches on his fairing and he did a lot of cutting and splicing - I went the other route and bought the Road Glide interface wiring harness and switch harnes.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just trade the SG for a RG, then add a few custom touches?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Here in CA - If you and I trade bikes and NO Money changes hands - good deal right - that is until I go to DMV - I have to pay sales tax.... I changed my bike to a Road Glide for less than that - plus I can keep my bike that I have already changed to suit my taste... I do agree to sell and buy a new one if a person can not do the work themself or they just want a new bike...

Old 06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Why not just trade the SG for a RG, then add a few custom touches?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

If you did that then you'd be stuck with the Silver Engine, ( YUCK) I likes the Black ones much better. Also they only come in fuel injection. No thanks on both. I could maybe live with the Fuel injection but not the Silver Engine, No way[sm=noooo.gif]

Quick Reply: Going From Batwing to Sharknose Fairing?