Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Hardware Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Detachable Hardware Question?

Was putting the 4 point docking hardware on my new RG last night and ran into a problem. One side went on in less than 5 minutes......the other side is giving me grief. Problem is the 3 holes on my fender strut cover dont match up with the 3 holes on the detachable hardware. I am convinced the 3 holes on the new hardware are correct. Maybe the holes on the fender strut cover have been stamped out incorrectly. Has anyone run into this and if so what do you do about it. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sort-of did the same thing. I took a set of RG strut covers, had them powdercoated to install on my FLHTP. Mine went on smooth as butter. You can check if they were punched correctly by merely removing the covers and comparing them back-to-back, same goes for the mounting kit. It's quick and easy.

Learn one thing from my costly lesson. The detachable items? They fit REAL tight adjacent to the strut covers, and I mean CLOSE. On my old Road King ('04) I merely clipped the front part in first, clipped the rear down onto the mounting points and I was good to go. On my newly powdercoated strut covers (did I mention I just got them back, uh, newly done? yeah I did!) then I put my solo rack on the bike--at a modest angle--the solo rack scraped off 1 1/2 inches of powdercoat when I removed the solo rack right after I released those black thumb clips on the sides. As I did that, the rack angled slightly forward (normal) and SCRAPE, ruined the strut covers. So, I'm guessing it would have scratched the chrome as well. Something to be mindful of because Harley did not exactly match the shape correctly. Beware.

Abd good luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Cheeze
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback. I found a strut cover in stock at one of the several local HD stores around here. I took mine there for comparison and sure enough the holes were stamped out wrong. As you might expect they said "we never seen this before" But they did do the right thing and give me the new strut cover for free and sent mine back to HD. So it turned out ok other than the three hours of my life I wasted trying to put a strut cover on that wouldnt fit! Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mccollde
Thanks for the feedback. I found a strut cover in stock at one of the several local HD stores around here. I took mine there for comparison and sure enough the holes were stamped out wrong. As you might expect they said "we never seen this before" But they did do the right thing and give me the new strut cover for free and sent mine back to HD. So it turned out ok other than the three hours of my life I wasted trying to put a strut cover on that wouldnt fit! Thanks again.
You're welcome. Glad to see it turned out good and that it was an easy fix. Sweet. So, you got your new one and your good to go. Ironically, I just picked up mine from being redone at the powdercoater, and they turned out even better this time. Looks like this week ended up good for us strut cover people. Seriously, good news though.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. That usually happens to me. Sucks for you but what a nice surprise for me.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
FLHTPchuck
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!! I plan on doing the same thing, so I'll check it out first.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Cyphilis
Tourer

Damn, now ya got me worried. I've had a the 4 point detach kit sitting in my office for a month now, and still waiting until I by the trunk to install it. I guess I should check out my RGC to see if it was stamped out right huh.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Cheeze
Tourer

This is one of those things that if you never put the docking hardware on you would never know it. I really believe this may be more common than people realize. If the dealer installs it they may choose to "make it fit" I chose not to and it paid off. But thats just me, I'm **** about that kinda thing. For the money we pay for these bikes and accesories you should never have to make something fit! If you look back at a lot of threads on here i have seen numerous times where people say its is a pain to get their tour pack on and off....... It don't fit quite right! This could be one reason why. Mine fits like a glove on my 2010 Roadie. 15 seconds on and 15 off.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had bought the Black Strut Covers and everything fits perfect. I don't have a clue if the stock chrome ones are right or not.

Originally Posted by Cyphilis
Damn, now ya got me worried. I've had a the 4 point detach kit sitting in my office for a month now, and still waiting until I by the trunk to install it.....................
If you have an '09 model bike, you might as well put them on now. There is only one way and placement to them. Unlike the '08 and earlier detachable hoops that can and must be adjusted.