Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melted inside my bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Melted inside my bag

I guess it gets' damn hot inside the bags (especially at the bottom rear). I had one of those waterproof fold-over+velcro bags holding some crap (industrial strength 3M repellent, backup Swiss Army Knife, Leatherman tool, and a fold-up hex tool bundle).

I am packing for a 6-day trip to head over to Durango, CO (Four Corners Biker Rally) so I was emptying misc stuff to re-pack...and there it was. The bag had melted, the cap on the 3M repellent gel had melted, and the plastic outer on one end of the Swiss Army Knife had melted). Insect repellent gel was everywhere...sticky...melted thin plastic mixed-in...PITA.

However...I am not 100% convinced it was temperature...almost wondering if the 3M insect repellent gel is nasty enough to react and melt the plastics like that...wait...NO (duh)...the bottle it COMES in is plastic. Aaaanyway...

Have any of you had this kind of melting issue? I never had the issue with my SG...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I had was on my 04 Ultra. I had a bottle of the turtle wax bug/road tar cleaner/wax spray. It got so hot it sort of exploded in the saddlebag. Made a mess. The insect repellent stuff is probably pretty nasty stuff.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am betting it was the repellant. It could be reacting/melting the other types of plastic.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

Insect repellent - Especially if it had DEET in it.

Nasty stuff. 'Interacts' with some plastics, not with others...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow...I wondered about that first...but man, it "melted" even the hard plastic cover to the Swiss Army Knife...crazy.

It is very strong 3M repellent loaded with DEET (I use it in Brazil to avoid being carried away by the giant flying creature/insects down there in the Jungle).

Thanks!!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not getting hot enough (temp wise) to melt plastic inside your saddlebag. You've got some chemical reaction going on, and that's the cause to your problem. It does get awful warm in there, but I've never had any plastic melt, and I've put on tons of miles in very hot weather.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope, I keep stuff in many different plastic bags in my saddlebags and they never melted.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
MWM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with things melting, but I sure have had enough items to leak and ruin things that I've learned to keep them better organized and separated. Had to learn this one the hard way.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

well one nice thing about your experience, you won't have mosquitoes hanging around your bike. i put stuff that i want to keep cooler, like my saddlebag cooler in the left bag, because it gets much less heat than the right one.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:02 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned this back in the '70s while hunting in Canada; insect repellent with DEET removes rifle stock finishes as effectively as paint stripper.

Quick Reply: Melted inside my bag