Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who and how too change your bagger tires by hand

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM
ballpeen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great thread, Ive been changing farm implement tires all my life, so why not the bike, I going to give a whirl. The dealers want you to think theres some magic science involved, thats why I never tried.. Thanks All TIm

Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

BALLPEEN read back a few post and click on the link, about the guy that made his own tire changer out of a car rim and some wood. very good read. Bill

Also my tires and changer have been shipped

Last edited by Bigwillie; 09-03-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

does anybody think i will have a problem putting on the e3`s with the cyclehill tire changer? or does that apply to doing it just by hand with tire irons. B

Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Harley99
Cruiser

Tires come off and go on real easy if you put them out in the sun til they git nice and hot

Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

An old trick a tire shop showed me was using starting fluid to seat a tire that was giving problems. I changed my mower rear tires and couldn't get them to seat, he tried for a couple of times and then sprayed starting fluid(ether)in the tire, passed a torch over it and man it popped and that was it, put air it em and went to mowing. Don't know if I would try that on a MC tire or not, but sometimes desperate people do desperate things.
LOL..

Joe

Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
An old trick a tire shop showed me was using starting fluid to seat a tire that was giving problems.

Joe
Never heard of that but it sounds like it works. I use soapy water as lubricant removing, and an aerosol tire mounting spray when mounting. It's very slimy when wet yet tacks up nicely.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use a ratchet strap around the tire to seat it. I used a 1" strap and it seated real easy. I changed my rear 401 to the E3 with 3 spoons for the first time a month ago and it was easy enough for me that i will be doing my own from now on. Spent $90 on everything i needed to change the tire and i found it easy to do. I don't know if the dyna beads i used work but i do know that the ride is much more smooth with the new tire.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

Starting fluid is old school and it works, but I wouldn't recommend it! Rarely have I had a problem getting a tire to seat after installing it.. In fact I can't remember the last time I did have a problem. But, if you do the strap trick as mentioned above is the way I'd go...

Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

Originally Posted by solowrider
does anybody think i will have a problem putting on the e3`s with the cyclehill tire changer? or does that apply to doing it just by hand with tire irons. B
I don't think you'll have a problem but I do think its going to take an extra length of time as its your first time! Did you get a yellow thingy? I would also suggest that you have a friend come by and give you a hand the first time. Are your wheels spoked? Cause doing a tube for the first time is also intimidating... Just take your time cause you'll get it done and each time there after will only get easier and better.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
An old trick a tire shop showed me was using starting fluid to seat a tire that was giving problems. I changed my mower rear tires and couldn't get them to seat, he tried for a couple of times and then sprayed starting fluid(ether)in the tire, passed a torch over it and man it popped and that was it, put air it em and went to mowing. Don't know if I would try that on a MC tire or not, but sometimes desperate people do desperate things.
LOL..

Joe
Check out a few videos on this technique.

http://www.google.com/search?q=seati...fficial&hs=1Nt

Rick

Quick Reply: who and how too change your bagger tires by hand