Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who and how too change your bagger tires by hand

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We change our own. We use a 6' pipe, 2" Dia. We mount it to the wall per 2 pieces of 2x4 on a 2x6 bolted on.
We drill a 1/2" hole about 4" from end of pipe and mount it to the 2x4 that are on edge. Looks like a Mitre box.
We then drilled another 1/2" hole about 18" from the wall end and placed a bolt and piece of 2x4 to use as bead breaker. Works like a charm. We even do our own car tires.

We place an old car rim (14") on the bench and covered its edges with cut in half garden hose and duct tape to keep from marring the rims. We then use 3 regular tire spoons to remove tire after breaking the bead. We place pieces of about 6" dia., antifreeze jugs inside beads to protect rims from the spoons to get tire over rim and off.

We then use goop hand cleaner to lube the beads of both the old and new tire to get it to slip off and on much easier.

Do it in reverse to mount. We have a homade mounting device that consists of 2 jack stands, and mount with ball bearing rollers to spin the tire on its axle to determine the place to mount the flat weights, heavy side winds up on bottom. We start with 1/8th oz and go from there.

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 09-01-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I do it I swear its the last time, but when I need new tires I forget how hard it was the last time. I use dyna beads for balance. Put 1 oz in, if its not enough put 1 more oz in.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by comaman2
if you need to ask how you will be better off to have a shop do it for you,
I don't agree. Everybody has to learn how from some place.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by comaman2
if you need to ask how you will be better off to have a shop do it for you,i change my tires by hand and its a lot of work to peel off the old tire could be harder then you expect!
That`s how we learn to do things,yea i could do it without asking but why not ask as many ? to help do the job easy er the first time. i`m sure it`s harder than i expect that`s why i am asking. Maybe it wouldn`t be as hard for you if you asked a few ?`s . Thank`s for your support!

To everyone else thank`s for the help and keep the HELP coming

Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
Are you kidding it costs $30 to have a tire changed a good spin balance?
30 bucks i wish, i looked at 1 dealer and 2 indys. they wanted $185 for rear and $165 for the front i got them both online for $209 from wilsons then to install the cheapest of the 3 was $75 a tire.
Atleast if i do it i can clean the rims nice and under the fender and also install lindall breke pads all at the same time no charge..lol

i just ordered the tires and all the goodies to get the job done for $364 shipped in 3 day`s.

I wanted to support local indy but at almost twice the price for tires. I was willing to pay the labor we all have to eat, but he was f`n me on the tires.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a NoMar Pro changer,,, most everything has been covered, to me it's harder to take the tire and wheel off the bike and put back on the bike than to actually change the tire itself, the NoMar isn't cheap, but I've paid for it changing other folks tires, as well as my own,, sport bike tires are really easy to change compared to the stiff wall touring tires. I get $30.00 to change a tire that's off the bike already, that's the only way I change them for anyone else, as it's more a extra money hobby and I don't have to worry about getting sued as bad.

I've done car tires, atv, and bike tires on the NoMar, I use the NoMar lube, but you can get a rubber lube from Napa that's really good too, I think when I run out of the NoMar I will try some. If it's really hot outside and the sun is out you can let the tire get hot and it helps with the stiffer walled tires.

I static balance and I've had sport bikers tell me they've been above 150 with no problems,,, actually I've checked many tires that come right off the bike, most are not in balance anymore, I've thought about trying the beads but haven't went that route yet.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Changing your own tires???

Changing tires on a motorcycle is like doing most other things on a motorcycle.Some people are cut out for their own maintenance, and some are not. If you enjoy working with tools and your hands, you will no doubt get a sense of satisfaction out of changing your own tires. I have been doing it since the early sixties and it is very doable if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty. You won't die a thousand deaths either.

Once you remove your tire and wheel from the bike, lay it on a couple of 2x4s which are covered with a piece of carpet or an old blanket. You will place the 2x4s on the outside of your rotors, so you don't bend them. The 2x4s on the ground will elevate your rotors off the ground by an inch or so. By doing this you won't scratch your rims or mess up a brake rotor.

You need a couple of tire spoons. They cost about $15.00 each on the internet. I use a big 8" C clamp to break the bead. You will need an 8" if you have a late model touring bike because the rear tires are pretty fat. Others use 2x4s as leverage bars. There are any number of ways to break the bead loose. I just always used a C clamp because it was handy. You can buy a cheap one for $12.00-15.00 at cut rate tools stores. I use an old bleach bottle cut into big strips to prevent damage to my cast wheels when I pry the tire off with the tire spoons. Again, it costs nothing and works well. I use the dyna beads in my tires. 1 oz. in the front and 2 oz in the rear tire. Strip off all the old weights on your wheel because with the beads you won't need them. Once you use the beads you likely will never go back to lead weights. Use Windex to lube your tire when mounting or demounting, expecially if you are going to use beads to balance because you don't want any greasy soap or extra water flopping around on the inside of the tire sticking to the beads.

You will need something to raise the bike off the ground to remove the wheels. A good jack or lift is really appreciated. I use a J&S Jack but other brands will work as well. Your first attempt at changing a tire will take about 3 hours or so, depending on how things go. After the first go around you can knock out a tire change in 1 1/2 hours or maybe less if your really swift. Dealers in my area charge a hundred bucks and change to do what you will do for chicken feed. Oh, I forgot to add in the tire beads for both tires @ $12.00+ shipping. Give it a shot. If an old man like myself can do it, anybody can.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

If you have ever changed a set of Elite 3's by hand and you were actually successful in getting them on, you will never never never do it again. They just about can't be changed without a tire changer. I've changed all my bike tires by hand for 25 years and they were the stiffest tires i've ever encountered. The harbor freight tire changer with the MC attachment mounted in concrete is all you need. Friend has one and tire changing is a breeze.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pitposse for 3 spoons and bead breaker. Used small squares of scrap leather as rim protectors. Ruglyde from napa is a must. 2 oz of dyna beads in rear tire 1 oz front. Tire from Dennis Kirk. I drilled a hole in my work bench and used a 1 ft piece of all thread to secure rim to table. Pulled brake disk off. Easy job even for 1 st timer.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the No-Mar love mine as well best bang for the buck is their new cyclehill tire changer at just under $400... I know its some $$ up front but the satisfaction of doing it yourself and the $ you save each and everytime you do it will more than pay for it over the years. Keep us posted on how it went and if you need some help via the net be sure and post up! Only been a member here a short but the folks here have been really fast to lend an ear and give a reply!

Quick Reply: who and how too change your bagger tires by hand