Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from the touring guys.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:02 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by troy.j
Way to cheep, I would be cautious
I agree.

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:04 PM
roadking762
6th Gear

why settle for a different model & something older that you didn't even want in the 1st place?

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:49 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

BUY IT! It has a motor that will out last your 96" by 100,000 miles....

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:52 PM
Northside
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PurpleHaze
I currently ride an 07 FXDB which I love to ride but have an opportunity to buy an 02 FLHT Electra Glide Standard.One owner with 18k on the clock...owned by a 65 year old ...never dropped...guy is getting divorced and liquidating his assets.......always kept immaculate and over-serviced....I can probably get this bike for 9k.......any pros and cons about this bike are welcomed.....I dont need this bike and really want a Street Glide but this seems like an offer I just dont want to pass up...tia...
You can make that bike into a better bike than a new Streetglide and have money left over. The '02 was in many peoples opinion, the best bagger ever made. It has the upgraded swing arm, it's the last year of forged flywheels and Timken bearings on the drive side. Harley cheapened up the low end in '03. I'd go a decent 95" kit with geardrive cams. That engine will out perform and outlast a new 96". Remove the spotlights and get 12' shocks and the tribar rear setup and you have a Streetglide. Now some guys will say that the new frame is dramatically better. A few will dispute that. The new frame allows a 180m.m. tire. If OCC is your bag then maybe the new bike is for you. Harley didn't change the frame to improve handling, they changed it to facilitate bolting on a 3 wheeler rear section. The '09's are noticably fatter when you sit on one. The new tires are a big improvement on the '09's and have a lot to do with the reported better handling. Run Metzlers on that '02 and it'll handle fine. Lastly, get a good quality 6-speed and the new bikes will have nothing on you, and you'll have the satifaction of having done your own thing rather than being another sheep in the flock.

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:55 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Thumbs down What?

Originally Posted by Gliden
It's a Great bike and I agree to a point....but my point is it's used. It will be 8 years old when you first sit on it. The guy can say he did this or that but bottom line it has 8 years on it. There have been substantial frame and engine improvements since 02.

If all that that don't bother you and your willing to pluck almost 10K down on it...(half the cost of a brand new bike) then I agree with the team.

Personally I need to have "new" only to know for my "fanatic disorder" what I'm dealing with...Plus I have a warrenty to handle the "bugs" the first year which I make a point to ride it hard and shake things loose or break things in. (however you want to term it)

So you can put about 10 K out and drive away......but....in 2 years you'll be driving a 10 year old bike. Personally if you can swing it $$ wise...I'd take the hit and go new.
But thats just me. I respect whatever you do and good luck with whatever you choose.
Gliden,
What ENGINE improvements? The Cheaper bottom end? The cheaper bearings? The only improvements over a new bike is the frame, maybe...Maybe you should do a little more research. 2002 is the best year for the twin cam by far....The 96" motor will not last as long as the 02, period.

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:59 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
What is funny to me is how when someone asks if a price is right and it is high or fair, someone ALWAYS points out that, with this economy you can find really good deals and the price is too high. Then when a good deal shows up, everyone wants to know why it's so cheap, must be something wrong.

Maybe the price is low simply because of the guy's stated reasons. I think it's a good price for the bike.
Yep, ride the bike and see what you think. It sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 09-01-2009 | 02:41 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer

Originally Posted by OdieFXDX
You know, I wanted a Street Glide also. However, after looking at everything, I came to the conclusion that buying an Ultra was the way to go. I still like the SG look so much though that I bought the Quick Disconnect for the tour pack and the lowers. I also, bought the color matched saddle bag latches. I ride it as a SG most of the time and when I travel I put the tour pack on and change the seat and voila! FLHTCU
Great engine, machine, endless options...

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:52 PM
TMair
Road Captain

Two years ago I baught a 99 RKC for $7800. the guy sold it to me for trade in value, plus a little for the chrome, I know you don't pay for chrome but I made an exception, it has more chrome on it then I would have ever put on it myself, it now has 58k on it, and no trouble, I love the bike, couldnt be happier, well I guess I could but not 11K happier, I just put a batwind fairing on it, have two other seats that make it look a little slamed, just don't realy know what else I would/could want.
Terry

Old 09-02-2009 | 03:27 AM
PurpleHaze
|
Banned

Thanks for all the replys guys...for the nay-sayers,a co-worker of mine has known the owner for years and I know his son so theres nothing fishy going on...he just needs cash so he can get the hell away from his (soon to be X) OL.....riding it tomorrow..thanks again...:>)

Old 09-02-2009 | 09:13 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser

The bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have the street glide and I love it. If you heart is set on the SG then just wait and find one. Its only a deal if its what you want. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: Advice from the touring guys.....