Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thank god for life

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 PM
amgreyghost
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank god for life

2 weeks ago Iwas on my way home from work on my 2004 Road Glide minding my own business when a suv turned into me and knocked me and my bike for a loop broke my leg in two places and now after 3 hours + of surgery I have a steel rod with screws holding it together I am lucky to be alive however my bike might not be so lucky alot of body damage was done from me laying it down .Now I am going to have to play the insurance game of whether they will fix it or not .Anybody out there have any advise for me I have never been in a situation like this before

Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

One fairly basic tool that only you can pull together is a list of every add-on you've had done to your bike, together with the receipts for the parts and any labor to document how much you had in the bike.

Some guys keep more detailed records than others. When dealing with insurance agents, those who keep more detailed records are in a far better position to discuss the loss with the agent than those who have no documentation.

Make a list of each item that was in your saddle bags, especially if you had - for example - a tool kit in them (and it isn't there now). You need to list each individual tool separately.

The insurance company works within the terms of your policy. You may want to read your policy carefully, especially if you've never done so before. The agent will likely depreciate the value of (read "what you paid for") the add-ons (exhaust systems, engine mods, custom seats, chubby bars, riding lamps, and all the bling you added, etc.)

Any photos you have - close ups that document what you're stating in terms of the things you had done to the bike - can be of value.

Essentially you are trying to build a case that documents the total amount of money you had in the bike - what you spent, when, and on what.

The insurance company is (ostensibly) obligated to put you back into the same position you were in when the bike wrecked - but not a better position. Since they can't always find you a 5 year old bike with whatever you put into it several years ago, they will likely offer you a cash settlement that purports to be your initial expenses minus the annual depreciation. Unless you paid for an additional insurance rider that offers a better compensatory package, you'll then be stuck trying to replace your 5 year old bike with whatever amount they offer you for yours.

So...the more expenses and/or custom work that you can document and prove you had done to the bike, the more comprehensive (e.g. more dollars) your settlement check is likely to be.

Just a few thoughts. Sorry for your loss, and I hope your leg heals soon.

Best,

Doc

Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Juniorcruzer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are going to be OK. Have had a few close calls thus far, but no accidents yet. (knock on wood)

They may total it and give you a chance to buy it back. Seems that if the frame is scratched a lot of insurance companies total the bike.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jon

Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Admit nothing, get a lawyer that specializes in bike wrecks, operate under the assumption that they are all out to get you.
They may ultimately not be, but be ready anyway.
Sucks to have to operate that way, but having firsthand experience, being the nice guy just gets you hurt worse.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
"Admit nothing, get a lawyer that specializes in bike wrecks, operate under the assumption that they are all out to get you.
They may ultimately not be, but be ready anyway.
Sucks to have to operate that way, but having firsthand experience, being the nice guy just gets you hurt worse."
What he said.

Truer words were never spoken.

In these situations, nice guys finish last. You can bet the SUV driver's lawyer is - even as we speak - making this entire situation out to be your fault, regardless of who did what in real life. Its now a matter of witnesses, and who can prove what. You may even want to put a notice in the paper asking for anyone who witnessed the accident to contact you.

If you're coming across as a nice guy, everyone else simply smells blood in the water.

Time to get your inner azz-hat on...

Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
What he said.

Truer words were never spoken.

In these situations, nice guys finish last. You can bet the SUV driver's lawyer is - even as we speak - making this entire situation out to be your fault, regardless of who did what in real life. Its now a matter of witnesses, and who can prove what. You may even want to put a notice in the paper asking for anyone who witnessed the accident to contact you.

If you're coming across as a nice guy, everyone else simply smells blood in the water.

Time to get your inner azz-hat on...

EXACTLY - GET A LAWYER! Talk to no one about the accident until you do.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Been there on 10-15-01, broken leg and all. Number one thing, get a Lawyer, RIGHT NOW, not tomorrow.----- I had the local Harley dealer work with my insurance co. about all of the accs. on the bike. They totaled my 97 Ultra and I got WELL paid for bike and ALL of the add ons. That was the easy part! The little witch's (THAT HIT ME) insurance co. had to have my lawyer build a fire under them to get them to do ANYTHING . However, after 2 years, and lot of heII, we did "get er done". Good luck to ya!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Like Cujo sez. And it shouldn't be your insurance company you have to deal with, but the person who hit you's insurance company. At that point, what your policy says means nothing. The other company is responsible for putting you and your bike back to the way you both were before their insured ran into you. If no injury was involved, I would consider just dealing with the other insurance company myself, but in your case, like Cujo sez: Get a lawyer and assume they are out to screw you.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My question is....why are you dealing with your insurance company? it should be the other drivers insurance company since he hit you! What was the outcome of the police report? Who was to blame as per what was included in the police report. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't offer any advice about what to do. Can only wish you a speedy and complete recovery and hope that any permanent injury does not adversly affect the rest of your life.

Oh, and nail that sucker

Quick Reply: thank god for life