Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic Stereo Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Hawnted
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic Stereo Upgrade Questions

I am pondering a few upgrades to my stock Ultra audio system. I already have Sirius Sat Radio hooked up the bike and am looking to get the most out of the sound. Here are a few questions I have compiled after reading through the bulk of the audio threads:
  • Those of you who get new head units, how do you control the VOX on the intercom, make squelch adjustments, and do other things that the HK Radio used to control?
  • Those of you using 6.5 inch speakers, what is the point when the hole is only 5.25?
  • Are the Infinity Kappas worth it if I am not going to initially have an amp?
  • If you change the head unit can you still use the handlebar controls?
I am not going to initially change the headunit or add an amp. I am looking to do a front only speaker upgrade first if it is worth it. The stock volume is dismal at best. I just want to be able to hear the system at 80mph. Down the road I will be adding an amp and possibly changing the head unit if I can figure out how you guys are controlling the intercom and cb system after changing the radio.

Last edited by Hawnted; 08-31-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
QuackWaddell
6th Gear

I dont think the stock head unit is bad at all. You just need amp upgrade and speakers with seperate bass and tweeter hookups!I left the pamphlet out in my ultra with the name of system I used. Ive ridin bikes with Hog tunes and someother popular brand and I feel mine is levels above them. Ill post the name and such tomorrow! Ride on.....

Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There is no aftermarket headunit that will retain the intercom or CB functions.

As for speakers, amps, etc., there are a ton of theads on Arc, Hog Tunes, Hawg-wired and other amps. Ditto speakers.

Good luck with your research and upgrades.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
There is no aftermarket headunit that will retain the intercom or CB functions.

As for speakers, amps, etc., there are a ton of theads on Arc, Hog Tunes, Hawg-wired and other amps. Ditto speakers.

Good luck with your research and upgrades.
So how do you make adjustments to the CB/intercom after changing the head unit?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

try J&M http://www.jmcorp.com/ for CB once you take the factory setup out you will no longer have CB and intercom functions

Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser

OK not looking to go down that path then.

So that leaves me still wondering about those of you using 6.5 inch speakers, what is the point when the hole is only 5.25? And, if I am not going to initially add an amp, are speakers like the Infinity Kappas that everyone seems to love worth it? I am looking to do a front only speaker upgrade first if it will help at all. I just want to be able to hear the system at 80mph. Down the road I will be adding an amp.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Modee1245
Tourer

You would have to get the 6.5 kit,,., Contact FireCap on the forum last I checked it was like 165.00 for the speakers and kit...

Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 AM
QuackWaddell
6th Gear

Sorry it took me a few days to get this posted but here we go.....at firtst i installed some Tempo coaxial speakers in the front and it was a big difference. These speakers come with theyre own crossovers to seperate the highs and lows. Thats the difference i think. The 09's have the harmon kardon with amp already but the speakers suck, so hence my speaker change. But when I wear my full face in the weather i couldnt hear as well so i went with the ARC system for more power. As far as the bigger speaker deal it works i believe because the bigger the more watts and ohm load i believe which produces better range and seperation of the music. My biggest deal is trying to find great speakers for my helmet intercom system because the stock ones dont handle good music at all!! Ride on...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
tmsimmon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best place for speakers and klockwerks windshield is http://www.rideshack.com/?Click=681